Truce with Reds holds – Palace

Published December 29, 2019, 1:27 PM

by Dr. Eduardo Gonzales

By Argyll Cyrus Geducos 

Malacañang said the gov­ernment’s nationwide unilateral and recipro­cal ceasefire with the Communist rebels will continue after President Duterte chose to let the insurgents’ alleged violation of the truce slide.

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (REY BANIQUET/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte
(REY BANIQUET / PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

The National Democratic Front (NDF) said the attacks by the New People’s Army (NPA) in Camarines Norte and Iloilo on December 23 were not violations of the ceasefire as those were defensive actions against gov­ernment forces.

In a radio interview Sunday, presi­dential spokesman Salvador Panelo said the NPA should never allow such an incident to happen again.

“Whatever the reason is, pinag­bigyan sila ni Presidente. Kaya ‘wag na nila ulitin (The President already let it slide so they should not do it again),” he said.

“Pinapabayaan na lang ni Presi­dente. Tuloy pa rin yun (The President let it slide. The ceasefire will continue),” he added.

Panelo said President Duterte insists that Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison should come to the Philippines and have a one-on-one talk with him.

“Ang gusto ni Presidente pumunta siya dito sa Pilipinas at mag-usap sila one-on-one. ‘Pag hindi siya pumunta ditto, ibig sabihin takot siya at hindi siya matapat sa kanyang mga salita (The President wants Mr. Sison to come to the Philippines so they can talk. If he doesn’t, then it means he is scared and he is not true to his word),” he said.

Panelo also described as nonsense Sison’s concern for his security as one of the reasons why he does not want to come home after being in exile for so long.

“Kalokohan ‘yang ‘security rea­sons.’ Walang mangyayari sa kanya doon (That ‘security reasons’ thing is nonsense. Nothing bad will happen to him),” he said.

The Communist leader had earlier said he preferred to have the one-on-one talk with Duterte in any other Asian country to avoid “spoilers” or the people who may want to de­rail the peace negotiations.

The Palace, however, said Sison had no right to demand. Sison threatened to cancel the ceasefire unless the Philippine government releases a copy of the official order on the suspension of military operations against Communist rebels.

President Duterte, in response, dared Sison to cancel their ceasefire, saying they already violated it on the first day of the 16-day holiday truce.

Duterte agreed to declare the ceasefire with the communists to build a conducive environ­ment for the formal resumption of the peace talks which the President scrapped in November, 2017, due to the “insincerity” of the other party.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2202588,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2875866,2875869,2875873,2875864,2875883,2875861]

Truce with Reds holds – Palace

Published December 29, 2019, 12:00 AM

by manilabulletin_admin

By Argyll Cyrus Geducos 

Malacañang said the gov­ernment’s nationwide unilateral and recipro­cal ceasefire with the Communist rebels will continue after President Duterte chose to let the insurgents’ alleged violation of the truce slide.

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte (REY BANIQUET/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)
President Rodrigo Roa Duterte
(REY BANIQUET / PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO / FILE PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

The National Democratic Front (NDF) said the attacks by the New People’s Army (NPA) in Camarines Norte and Iloilo on December 23 were not violations of the ceasefire as those were defensive actions against gov­ernment forces.

In a radio interview Sunday, presi­dential spokesman Salvador Panelo said the NPA should never allow such an incident to happen again.

“Whatever the reason is, pinag­bigyan sila ni Presidente. Kaya ‘wag na nila ulitin (The President already let it slide so they should not do it again),” he said.

“Pinapabayaan na lang ni Presi­dente. Tuloy pa rin yun (The President let it slide. The ceasefire will continue),” he added.

Panelo said President Duterte insists that Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) founder Jose Maria Sison should come to the Philippines and have a one-on-one talk with him.

“Ang gusto ni Presidente pumunta siya dito sa Pilipinas at mag-usap sila one-on-one. ‘Pag hindi siya pumunta ditto, ibig sabihin takot siya at hindi siya matapat sa kanyang mga salita (The President wants Mr. Sison to come to the Philippines so they can talk. If he doesn’t, then it means he is scared and he is not true to his word),” he said.

Panelo also described as nonsense Sison’s concern for his security as one of the reasons why he does not want to come home after being in exile for so long.

“Kalokohan ‘yang ‘security rea­sons.’ Walang mangyayari sa kanya doon (That ‘security reasons’ thing is nonsense. Nothing bad will happen to him),” he said.

The Communist leader had earlier said he preferred to have the one-on-one talk with Duterte in any other Asian country to avoid “spoilers” or the people who may want to de­rail the peace negotiations.

The Palace, however, said Sison had no right to demand. Sison threatened to cancel the ceasefire unless the Philippine government releases a copy of the official order on the suspension of military operations against Communist rebels.

President Duterte, in response, dared Sison to cancel their ceasefire, saying they already violated it on the first day of the 16-day holiday truce.

Duterte agreed to declare the ceasefire with the communists to build a conducive environ­ment for the formal resumption of the peace talks which the President scrapped in November, 2017, due to the “insincerity” of the other party.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","news"]
[2067663,2875873,2875864,2875861,2875883,2875858,2875855]