By Jel Santos
The Philippine Red Cross (PRC) has released a list of reminders to observe so that the public could have safe and merry festivities this Christmas.
“Most of us will be going home to provinces to be with our families to celebrate the holidays. We, at the PRC encourage everyone to have a safe and an enjoyable yuletide season by following our safety reminders,” Richard Gordon, PRC chairman, said.
“Isang maligaya at ligtas na Pasko sa inyo at sa inyong pamilya (A merry and safe Christmas to you and to your family),” he added.
The humanitarian organization is reminding the public to observe the following:
- Use only Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) approved lighting decorations. Make sure these have the ICC stickers attesting to DTI approval. Avoid sub-standard and faulty items to minimize fire hazards.
- Place your Christmas tree and decorations away from curtains and other combustible materials.
- Avoid leaving Christmas lights turned on overnight to avoid overheating and fire risk.
- Avoid octopus connections to minimize overloading.
- Never place appliance or extension cords under a carpet.
- Repair faulty appliances.
- Use appliances at a specified voltage only.
- Unplug appliances by grasping the plug, not by yanking the cord, when not in use and when leaving the house.
- Always keep infants and children under adult supervision. Keep them away from places where they might fall or get injured.
- Avoid using firecrackers. Choose alternative methods to minimize the risk of endangering the people and the environment.
- Participate in or watch public fireworks displays in your locality.
According to PRC, all its 104 chapters all over the country as well as volunteers and staff are on full alert and ready to respond to any untoward incident
For emergency, PRC said people could contact its 24/7 Operations Center by dialing 143 or 8790-2300 for assistance.