By the Philippine News Agency
COTABATO CITY – The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) recorded on Saturday the strongest aftershock of the magnitude 6.3 temblor that hit North Cotabato province and a huge portion of Mindanao earlier this week.
At 6:52 a.m. Saturday, a magnitude 5.0 quake rocked Tulunan, North Cotabato, with intensities felt as far as General Santos City and Kiamba, Sarangani.
Phivolcs said the tremor was traced 27 km. east of Tulunan and had a depth of only 12 km.
Tulunan was the epicenter of the October 16 magnitude 6.3 quake that devastated communities in South Central Mindanao, and parts of Northern Mindanao, and the Davao region.
Saturday’s aftershock also shook Kidapawan City (Intensity IV): Tupi, Koronadal City, and Tampakan, South Cotabato (Intensity III); and General Santos City (Intensity II).
Instrumental intensities (ground shaking recorded by seismic instruments) were reported in Malungon, Sarangani; Koronadal City, South Cotabato (Intensity IV); Kidapawan City; General Santos City; Alabel, Sarangani; Tupi, South Cotabato; Davao City (Intensity III); and Kiamba, Sarangani (Intensity I).
At 6:56 p.m. on Friday, Tulunan was rocked by a magnitude 4.7 quake, followed by a magnitude 4.3 at 9:54 p.m.
Hermie Daquipa, Phivolcs-Kidapawan station chief, said more aftershocks are expected.
So far, he said, more than 450 aftershocks have been recorded since the magnitude 6.3 quake on the night of Oct. 16, the worst to hit North Cotabato.
Magnitude measures the energy released from the source of the quake while intensity measures the strength of shaking produced by the earthquake at a certain location.
At least five people were confirmed dead, while 89 others were injured after a magnitude 6.3 earthquake hit North Cotabato and nearby provinces in Mindanao on Wednesday evening, according to the latest information from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
The NDRRMC said a total of 1,653 families or 8,625 individuals had been affected by the earthquake.
Indian leader condoles with quake victims
Meanwhile, Indian President Ram Nath Kovind on Friday offered sympathy and condolences to the victims of the deadly earthquake that struck parts of Mindanao.
“I convey my deepest condolences on the loss of life caused by the earthquake in Mindanao,” Kovind, who is in Manila for a five-day state visit, said during his bilateral meeting with President Duterte at Malacañang Palace.
The Indian leader also wished for the speedy recovery of quake victims.
“I hope the affected people are able to begin their normal lives soon,” he said.