87 of those who surrendered have been released – DOJ

Published October 1, 2019, 9:24 AM

by Patrick Garcia

By Jeffrey Damicog

The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has now released a total of 87 surrenderers, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said.

“The BuCor has confirmed the release of the third batch of 35 PDL (persons deprived of liberty) surrenderers, bringing the total to 87 so far,” said DOJ spokesman and Undersecretary Markk Perete.

The first and second batches consisting of 52 surrenderers were released just last Friday.

“The fourth batch of 27 PDLs is undergoing review by the Oversight Committee,” Perete said.

“The Joint Task Force, meanwhile, continues to evaluate the carpetas (prison records) of surrenderers and is expected to submit a fifth batch soon,” he added.

A total of 2,221 freed convicts heeded President Duterte order for all inmates who were released because of good conduct time allowance (GCTA) to surrender.

Duterte made the move to address fears that unqualified inmates, including those convicted of heinous crimes, may have benefited from Republic Act 10592.

RA 10592, which was passed in 2013, amended provisions of the Revised Penal Code (RPC), and granted more GCTAs to inmates to allow for their much earlier release.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2167753,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2877250,2877247,2877244,2877241,2877237,2877225]