By Joseph Jubelag
GENERAL SANTOS CITY-Police authorities are eyeing illegal drugs as a possible motive in the killing of Rolando Navarrete II, son of former world boxing champion Rolando Navarrete, who was gunned down last Monday night by motorcycle-riding suspects in Barangay Lagao, this city.
P/Major Benhur Catcatan, Police Station 3 commander, said probers are looking at the victim’s involvement in illegal drugs as a possible motive in the killing.
The victim, together with his live-in partner, was walking along a street in Carcon Village, Barangay Lagao, when shot by unidentified gunmen riding in tandem on a motorcycle.
Police said the victim had yielded previously to police authorities as a drug surrenderee.
The older Navarrete urged the police to arrest the perpetrators in the killing of his 24-year-old son whom he was hoping to become a boxer.
He denied that his son resumed his illegal drugs activities after he surrendered two years ago.
Navarrete became super featherweight champion in the 80’s and later retired from boxing after he lost in some defense title bouts.
After retirement, Navarrete tried but failed a comeback in boxing as he was embroiled in alcoholism and his habitual involvement in domestic violence with his live-in partner in the city.