By Anthony Giron
IMUS, Cavite – The national government allocated this year P132 million for improving or renovating Cavite’s historical sites.
The budget was contained in the 2019 General Appropriations Act (GAA) that Malacanang’s Official Gazette published last April 29.
Here is how the budget is broken down:
• P62 million for the construction of the “Inang Laya” or Mother Freedom Monument and installation of LED streetlights at the Heritage Park in Barangay Alapan II
• P40 million for renovating the Imus Arsenal Museum and lights and sounds for its revolutionary displays at Cuartel, Barangay Poblacion
• P30 million for the Cavite Historical Trail Master plan.
The streetlights at Heritage Park alone, the site of the Dambana ng Pambansang Watawat has been allocated P22 million.
The city government plans to put up the 30-feet high Inang Laya monument, replacing the smaller statue, near the National Flag Shrine.
The shrine is the site where the giant Philippine flag is raised on a 90-feet tall pole every May 28, National Flag Day.
Barangay Alapan is the site where the Philippine flag, designed by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, was first waved by the revolutionaries who defeated Spanish troops on May 28, 1898.
The city government built Heritage Park to commemorate the historical events that took place in Alapan.
The National Historical Commission of the Philippines (NHCP) plans to make the area the center of flag-raising ceremonies every May 28.
The century-old Imus Arsenal has been converted into a museum. But the museum has been closed for years due to budget constraints.
The heritage building and some displays became dilapidated through the years.
The museum houses a mural, the life-size tableau of General Aguinaldo, Colonel Jose Tagle, and the Katipuneros, the Execution of GomBurZa (heroes Fathers Mariano Gomez, Jose Apolonio Burgos and Jacinto Zamora), the replica of the Siege of Casa Hacienda, the Battles of Imus, Binakayan and Alapan, among other historical events, the guns and spears used by the revolutionaries and other relics.
The old arsenal was once the site of the foundry and workshop of Gen. Jose Ignacio Paua, a Filipino-Chinese blacksmith who made and repaired guns and cannons for the revolutionaries during the Spanish and American wars.
The Cuartel compound and the nearby Queen Isabel II bridge and river is a historical site, being it is where the Battle of Imus took place on September 1896.
Imus Information and Tourism Development Officer Edgardo Jay Saquilayan said talks are underway between the city government, the Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA), the provincial government and the other concerned offices regarding the historical site projects.