By the Associated Press
KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide car bomber targeted the police headquarters in a minority Shiite neighborhood in western Kabul on Wednesday, setting off a huge explosion that wounded dozens of people, Afghan officials said. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
There was no immediate confirmation of any deaths in the attack, the second in the Afghan capital in as many days.
In Wednesday’s attack, the bomber detonated his car at a security checkpoint outside the building, police spokesman Firdaus Faramarz told The Associated Press. A military training school is also located nearby. The Taliban said they targeted a recruitment center for security forces.
Public health ministry spokesman Wahidullah Mayar said the wounded, including women and children, were taken to local hospitals.
Local media showed a large plume of smoke rising above that part of Kabul, which is home to many of the minority Hazara community. The facade of one multi-story building had been ripped away.
The police headquarters has been targeted in the past, including an attack in 2017 that left more than 20 dead.
Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi told the local TOLO news station that no other attackers were involved in Wednesday’s blast, and he denied reports of a gunbattle.
The Taliban, who have been staging near-daily attacks across the country, usually target Afghan forces and government officials or those seen as loyal to the government. On Tuesday, a bomb targeting a van carrying employees of the Interior Ministry’s counter-narcotics division killed five people and wounded seven in Kabul.
The Islamic State group’s affiliate in Afghanistan, which has also been behind several large-scale attacks in Kabul, frequently targets minority Shiites.
Wednesday’s attack comes against the backdrop of another round of talks this week between the Taliban and the U.S. in the Gulf Arab state of Qatar, where the insurgents maintain an office.
Zalmay Khalilzad, the U.S. envoy tasked with finding a peaceful resolution to the nearly 18-year war — America’s longest conflict — this week reported “excellent progress” at the Qatar talks. A Taliban official on Tuesday said differences had been resolved over the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and guarantees from the insurgents that they will cut ties with other extremist groups.
But the Taliban have continued to sideline the Kabul government, dismissing it as a U.S. puppet and refusing to negotiate with it.
The Taliban now control roughly half of Afghanistan and are at their strongest since 2001, when the U.S.-led invasion toppled their government after it harbored al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.
Khalilzad has said he is hoping for a final agreement by Sept. 1 that would allow the roughly 20,000 U.S. and NATO forces to leave the country.
Also on Wednesday, the Interior Ministry spokesman said an hours-long clearance operation by Afghan forces against insurgents in eastern Kabul had ended with weapons caches found.
And in northern Baghlan province, security forces foiled an attack by insurgents, said Jawed Basharat, spokesman for the provincial police chief. He said a suicide bomber in a Humvee tried to attack an Afghan base but was killed. No security forces were killed, Basharat said.