By Jel Santos
Provincial bus operators may or may not join the Provincial Bus Ban Dry Run along EDSA on Wednesday, August 7, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said on Monday.
On July 31, 2019, a writ of preliminary injunction was issued by the Quezon City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 223, halting the implementation of provincial bus ban along EDSA.
It also stopped the implementation of the MMDA Regulation No. 19-002 which revokes the issuance of business permits to all public utility vehicle terminals and operators along the major road.
“The dry run is voluntary, so if bus operators will conduct it on August 7, we will be thankful for that. But if not, then there’s nothing we can do,” Asec. Celine Pialago, MMDA spokesperson, said.
Pialago said that bus operators had earlier agreed to participate in the dry run to test.
However, because of the recently issued injunction, she said that their hands are tied.
“Iyong provincial bus ban dry run natin, naka-base lang yan sa pakiusapan. Nakiusap lang kami. If they will still conduct dry run to try the policy in their own capacity, okay lang sa amin yun. But again, hindi ito pilitan (We kindly asked them to to take part in the provincial bus ban. We asked them kindly. If they will still conduct dry run to try the policy in their own capacity, that is okay for us. But again, this is not being forced),” the MMDA spokesperson said.
The said ban seeks to prohibit provincial buses from traversing along EDSA from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m.