By Joseph Almer Pedrajas
Navotas City Mayor Toby Tiangco led the clearing operation in the city Wednesday morning, in compliance with the recent directive from the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).
Tiangco was joined by Navotas City Police officers, led by chief P/Col. Rolando Balasabas, and personnel from the city’s traffic and engineering offices, as they conducted the removal of road obstructions along R-10.
Wooden chairs in front of eateries, several pieces of woods, galvanized iron roofs, tarpaulins, illegally parked vehicles and other household materials, including plastic pails, that littered on the city’s major roads were removed.
Around 10 trucks of road obstructions were already collected by the city since Monday, Balasabas said.
A barangay chairman was also ordered to demolish a barangay post built in Navotas West as it occupies a portion of a road.
“So far, everything was peaceful. Residents were all cooperative. I did not receive any negative reactions from them. In fact, they were all happy that our roads will be cleared of obstructions,” Tiangco told Manila Bulletin.
Tiangco said that he expects that the city’s major roads will be cleared of obstructions within 30 days.
“We have been doing that since 2002,” he said. “And unlike other cities, we don’t actually have major obstructions along our major roads.”
For car owners who do not have parking spaces, the city government is also offering for free a portion of its bus terminal.
“But it will be a first come, first serve basis,” Tiangco said.
Several clean-up drives, including road flushing, have also been being conducted by fire volunteers and the city’s environment office since Monday.