Cavite under state of calamity due to dengue outbreak

Published July 18, 2019, 8:27 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

By Anthony Giron

TRECE MARTIRES CITY, Cavite—Governor Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla Jr. has declared a province-wide dengue outbreak and state of calamity in the province due to increased deaths and cases.

An Aedes aegypti mosquito (Flickr / Oregon State University / MANILA BULLETIN)
(Flickr / Oregon State University / MANILA BULLETIN)

Remulla made the pronouncement on Thursday, July 18, upon recommendation of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (SP or Provincial Council) and the Provincial Health Office (PHO).

The move was made to instill awareness among the citizens, conduct actions and implement measures in the fight against dengue

The Cavite Provincial Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (PESU) said that the dengue outbreak had been declared in at least two cities and six municipalities in the province’s upland and lowland districts.

The latest PESU update report—the period from January 1 to July 13—revealed that 18 dengue deaths and 3,605 cases have already been recorded in the province.

The outbreak was initially declared in the cities of Dasmariñas and General Trias and the municipalities of Alfonso, Carmona, General Mariano Alvarez (GMA), Indang, Naic and Silang.

The outbreak areas and the increasing number of dengue cases in other areas prompted the provincial government to declare the province-wide dengue outbreak and state of calamity.

The provincial pronouncement came only a few days after the Department of Health (DoH) declared a national dengue alert in the country.

Remulla called the province-wide dengue outbreak and state of calamity after a resolution was made by Provincial Board Member Kerby J. Salazar, Committee on Health, Nutrition and Population, citing actions on the province’s dengue situation.

Salazar’s resolution also called for the release of at least P4 million as assistance to anti-dengue responses.

Dengue is being spread by the Aedes Aegypti mosquitoes year-round and that it is incurable and can be fatal to anyone afflicted, particularly the children. Symptoms include severe fever and rashes.

Provincial Epidemiologist Nelson Soriano and his staff and doctors and health personnel have been in the field since Monday to monitor the dengue situation.

Soriano called on the citizens to seek medical assistance once if symptoms persist and always clean their surroundings in a bid to prevent the virus.

“We need a united stand in the fight against dengue, the must are the awareness, and the 4S against the virus,” he said. 4S stands for Search and Destroy, Self-Protection Measures, Seek Early Consultation and Say Yes to Fogging.

The provincial government declared the province-wide dengue outbreak and the placed the whole province in a state of calamity the last time on September 19, 2015. A total of 48 deaths and 12,007 cases were reported from January 1 to December 31 in 2015.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2136521,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2917137,2917147,2917130,2917143,2917121,2917099]