By Calvin Cordova
CEBU CITY – From July 1 last year to July 1 this year, more than P1 billion worth of illegal drugs have been seized in Region 7, the chief of the Police Regional Office in Central Visayas (PRO 7) announced.
Police Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas said the P1.2 billion worth of illegal drugs was the biggest in the history of PRO 7 since President Duterte declared a massive campaign against illegal drugs.
Sinas said the one-year drug haul included 130 kilos of shabu, 392 kilos of marijuana and 431 tablets of ecstacy.
During the one-year period, Central Visayas conducted a total of 7,152 anti-illegal drug operations that to the arrest of 9,609 drug personalities.
Of the arrested persons, 4,354 were drug users and 5,255 were pushers.
Charges have been filed against the arrested drug suspects, Sinas said.
Sinas said that they noted that 9,226 of the arrested suspects were not in the police watch list which means they were emerging drug players.
Sinas added that 109 drug suspects were killed and four policemen were wounded in anti-drug operations.
“Among all the regional police offices in the country, the PRO 7 seized the biggest amount of illegal drugs in the past 12 months,” Sinas said.
The huge amount of illegal drugs seized showed that Cebu is the biggest market for shabu.
Sinas said the Central Visayas police were able to dismantle drug groups such as the Ygot group, Kuratong Baleleng, a drug group in Talisay City and the remnants of Franz Sabalones.
Despite the massive haul, Sinas maintained that there was no shabu laboratory in Central Visayas, especially in Cebu since most of the illegal drugs were coming from Luzon.