By Agence France-Presse
WASHINGTON (AFP) – The United States pulled the trigger Friday on a steep increase in tariffs on Chinese products and Beijing immediately vowed to hit back, turning up the heat before the second day of trade negotiations.
Minutes after the US increased punitive duties on $200 billion in imports from China from 10 to 25 percent, the Chinese commerce ministry said it “deeply regrets” the move and repeated its pledge to take “necessary countermeasures”, without elaborating.
Locked in a trade dispute for more than a year, officials from the world’s two biggest economies returned to the bargaining table late Thursday, led by Chinese Vice Premier Liu He, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
Since last year, the two sides have exchanged tariffs on more than $360 billion in two-way trade, gutting US agricultural exports to China and weighing on both countries’ manufacturing sectors.
Trump began the trade war because of complaints about unfair Chinese trade practices.
The US team met with Trump late Thursday night to brief him and “agreed to continue discussions tomorrow morning at USTR,” the White House said in a statement.
Lighthizer and Mnuchin met with the Chinese delegation for about 90 minutes Thursday evening. The White House statement said they also had a working dinner with Liu, who is leading the Chinese side.
“We hope the US and the Chinese side can meet each other halfway and work hard together to resolve existing problems through cooperation and consultation,” the Chinese commerce ministry said in a statement.
Despite optimism from officials in recent weeks that the talks were moving towards a deal, tensions reignited this week after Trump angrily accused China of trying to backpedal on its commitments.
“They took many, many parts of that deal and they renegotiated. You can’t do that,” Trump said on Thursday.
But he held out hopes of salvaging a deal.
“It’s possible to do it,” Trump said. “I did get last night a very beautiful letter from President Xi (Jinping).”
At the same time, he said he would be equally satisfied to simply keep tariffs in place. And he has threatened to extend the tough duties to all Chinese goods.
China had earlier threatened to raise tariffs on $60 billion of US imports but held off amid a trade war truce. It could also use other tactics to disrupt business for US firms in China.
The International Monetary Fund has called for a rapid resolution, warning that the trade battle was a “threat” to global growth.