ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (May. 9, 2019)

Published May 9, 2019, 11:34 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

Number two most wanted in Pateros nabbed

The number two most wanted person of Pateros was arrested by authorities in an anti-criminality operation on Wednesday.

The suspect was identified as Michael Cabunyag, 37, a resident of E. Hermosa Street, Barangay San Roque, Pateros.

Investigation showed that police nabbed Cabunyag at G. De Borja St, Brgy. Aguho, Pateros at around 5 in the afternoon during a series of anti-criminality operations.

Cabunyag was arrested by members of the Warrant and Subpoena and Intelligence Section by virtue of a warrant of arrest issued RTC Branch 262 Hon. Judge Joy Casihan-Dumlao, Presiding Judge for the crime of qualified rape with no bail recommended.

The suspect is now detained at the Pateros Custodial Facility pending the issuance of commitment order from the court of origin. (Dhel Nazario)

Three drug users arrested in Paranaque

Three alleged drug users were arrested by police after they were caught engaged in pot session on Wednesday in Parañaque City.

The three were identified by police Edward Ualat, 36; Jerico Vicera, 32; and Florissa Maula, 39. All residents of Riverside 2, Brgy. Tambo, Parañaque City.

Investigation showed that the arrest was made during an operation conducted at around 7 in the morning along Riverside 2, Brgy. Tambo, Parañaque City.

Initial investigation conducted disclosed that, while elements of Police Community Precinct 2, Parañaque City Police were conducting Oplan Galugad they chanced upon the suspects using illegal drugs.

Police recovered from their possession one small heat sealed transparent plastic sachet containing white crystalline substance suspected to be shabu, one small unsealed transparent plastic sachet containing suspected shabu and several drug paraphernalia.

Suspects were turned over to Station Drug Enforcement Unit, Parañaque City Police with the recovered pieces of evidence, and will be facing drug-related charges. (Dhel Nazario)

Senior HS student arrested after stabbing and robbing a gay 

An 18-year-old senior high school student is now wiping the cold bars of his cell after he stabbed and robbed the bag of a gay at the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) Complex in Pasay City past midnight Thursday.

Investigation showed that the suspect lured the victim, identified as Justine Ocon, 47, whom he just met by inviting him to go to CCP to talk.

While they were in a poorly lit area of the park, the suspect suddenly pulled out a knife and pointed it towards the victim’s throat before he declared a hold-up at around 12:30 a.m.

He then pulled the shoulder bag, which was worth P1,500 and contained P400, of the victim, who in turn put up a fight but was unfortunately stabbed on his left forearm and left fingers as the former ran away with his bag.

The victim shouted for help. Concerned citizens heeded to the call and mauled the suspect.

The commotion was only stopped when members of the Philippine Army passed by. The incident was reported to a nearby police precinct along Roxas Boulevard in the boundary of Manila.

Both the victim and the suspect were brought to Ospital ng Maynila for treatment.

After which, the suspect was turned over to the police for detention and charged with robbery with violence at the City Prosecutor’s Office. (Ria Fernandez)

Woman caught by police flushing P80,000 worth of stolen money

A woman was arrested by police after she was allegedly caught flushing stolen cash worth P80,000 down the toilet in a condominium in Manila.

Manila Police District’s Crime and Investigation Detection Unit (CIDU) identified the suspect as Arcelie Dela Cruz, 37, resident of Addalam Jones, Isabela City.

Investigation showed that Michael Ti discovered that he lost his money placed inside the pocket of his denim pants hanged on the bedroom door of his condominium unit in Binondo, Manila on May 5 at around 1:30 p.m

When the victim asked his househelpers about his money, he saw Dela Cruz was acting strangely and she immediately rushed in their comfort room.

Moments after, Ti saw the Dela Cruz flushed down the money down the toilet bowl.

Police said Ti asked the maintenance staff of the condominium. Some of the cash was retrieved from the toilet.

The suspect was brought to Crimes Against Property Investigation Section-CIDU for proper disposition and filing of appropriate charges. (Erma Edera)

Man killed by cops after firing his gun and resisting arrest in Caloocan

A man was killed after he allegedly fired his gun and resisted arrest in a police operation in Caloocan City on Thursday morning.

The Northern Police District identified him as Noel Peneda, 47, resident of the city.

According to a police report, joint operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and Caloocan Police Community Precinct 2 (PCP-2) served a search warrant at the house of Peneda in Barangay 12, Caloocan City at around 2:20 a.m.

The report added that police was explaining the search warrant to Peneda when the latter pulled out his gun and fired at the lawmen, prompting the police to retaliate. This led to his death.

However, in an interview with reporters, Peneda’s wife, Lala, belied this, saying, “there was no police warrant” that was presented before them.

Lala said that they were sleeping when several men—some wearing an apparent police uniform while one wearing a CIDG shirt—suddenly barged into their house.

“Sabi may search warrant, pero walang pinakita. Bigla na lang kaming pinalabas, pwera lang kay Noel,” she said.

[They said, there was a search warrant. But they did not show any. We were just asked to go outside except Noel]

Because of panic, Lala said, they immediately followed what they were told and went outside. But her two sons, she added, looked back to their father.

Her sons told her that they saw him already lying and facing the ground, and was being stepped on by the police.

Lala insisted if she could see her husband but the police did not allow her.

Five gunshot wounds

Thirty minutes after, Lala said, they suddenly heard five consecutive gunshots. Five minutes later, she added, they heard another two.

Police claimed that Noel pulled “out his firearm and fired” at them, but Lala said that her husband had no firearms.

She added, “At paano makakabaril ang asawa ko kung patay na sya?”

[And how could my husband still fire at them if he was already killed?]

Noel sustained five gunshot wounds. Three in his chest, two in the right side of his body.

Acquitted of drug charges

Lala bared that her husband was arrested in 2015 after he was caught allegedly possessing drug paraphernalia.

But, she added, Noel was acquitted in February 2019 because there was no guilt beyond reasonable doubt.

“Wala naman [kasing] nakuhang droga,” she said.

[Because there was no drug that was recovered from him] (Joseph Almer Pedrajas)

Elderly man shoots himself after shooting his wife and grandson in Mandaluyong

An elderly man shot his wife and his grandson, who was a patient at the National Center for Mental Health in Mandaluyong City, before also shooting himself Thursday afternoon, the police said.

Police Colonel Moises Villaceran Jr, Mandaluyong City Police chief, said the grandfather and his 27-year-old grandson died on the spot, while the grandmother is undergoing treatment and unconscious.

Villaceran said the patient’s grandparents visited him around 2:50 p.m. when the elderly man had an argument with his grandson.

Suddenly, the grandfather pulled out a cal. 45 pistol and shot the patient. His wife tried to pacify him but he also shot her, before shooting himself.

“We are wondering how the gun passed the security check,” Villaceran said.

He added that they will request the facility to give their statement explaining their security measures. (Jhon Aldrin Casinas)