Guevarra set to check bilibid relocation initiatives

Published March 25, 2019, 7:17 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

By Jeffrey Damicog

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said yesterday (March 25) he will look into initiatives being made by the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) to relocate the New Bilibid Prisons (Bilibid) in Muntinlupa City amid complaints from residents there who claimed they are being kicked out from their homes which now face demolition.

New Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra during his appointment confirmation at the Senate building in Pasay City, May 30,2018.(Czar Dancel / MANILA BULLETIN)
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra (CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN)

“No final decision yet on the transfer of NBP and possible new location,” Guevarra revealed. The BuCor is an agency attached under the Department of Justice (DOJ).

“There are at least three options under consideration,” he added.

Recently, the Kalipunan ng Mamamayan ng Panagkaisa sa NBP (KAMPINA) issued a statement claiming that the BuCor has begun telling residents in the NBP reservation to move out as their homes have been set for demolition.

KAMPINA added that that the NBP administration had already cut water and electricity services in some areas.

To this, Guevarra said he “will check on reported cutting off of utilities.”

KAMPINA said that BuCor Director General Nicanor Faeldon has already issued a 15-day “notice to vacate” to thousands of residents in the NBP reservation.

The group learned that Faeldon is set to implement the NBP Master Development Plan which aims to privatize the NBP for mixed-use projects in its almost 366.7 hectares of land.

It added that the NBP facilities are reported to be transferred in Nueva Ecija.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2111301,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3094562,3094560,3094555,3094553,3094548,3094545]