Students welcome to apply for summer jobs – DOLE

Published March 24, 2019, 3:13 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Analou De Vera

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) invites vacationing students to apply for summer job opportunities under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

Bureau of Local Employment (BLE) Director Dominique Tutay said that the SPES program will begin next month.

Tutay encouraged the students to take advantage of these opportunities to gain the necessary experiences.

The SPES is an employment bridging program for high school, technical- vocational, tertiary students aged 15 to 30 during summer vacation that aims at augmenting the family’s income of poor but deserving students, and for out-of-school-youth (OSY) who intend to finish their education.

Employers from public and private institutions usually provide SPES beneficiaries with office work such administrative and clerical jobs.

Employment under this program usually lasts from 20 to 78 days. The employers is set to pay the beneficiaries the 60 percent of the prevailing minimum wage while the remaining 40 percent will be shouldered by the labor department.

Those who are interested are encouraged to visit their nearest Public Employment Service Office (PESO) and bring a copy of their birth certificate or any document showing their date of birth, latest report card, and certificate of indigence to be requested from their respective barangay offices. For OSY, they need a certification as OSY issued by the barangay or the city/municipality/ or provincial social welfare and development office where they reside.