Parlade welcomes cancelation of peace negotiations, hits NPA’s “deceptive ploys”

Published March 22, 2019, 7:48 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

By Francis Wakefield

Armed Forces deputy chief of staff for civil-military operations Brig. Gen. Antonio Parlade Friday welcomed the permanent cancellation of peace negotiations between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines/New People’s Army/National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF).

Brig. Gen. Antonio Parlade (PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN)
Brig. Gen. Antonio Parlade
(PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN)

In a statement, Parlade said 31 years of deceptive ploys using the peace talks across five administrations only resulted to more terrorist NPAs being released.

He added that the peace talks only served as an opportunity for the CTG (Communist Terrorist Group) to recruit and recover lost areas of influence and publicity for Communist leader Jose Maria Sison in the international arena as a ‘dove’.

Parlade said government funds were also spent and wasted for negotiations and junket and opportunities were lost for investments and development because of prolonged and intermittent fighting.

Politicians also kowtowing with NPAs for survival especially during elections but leaving the government empty-handed.

“They had their best chance when peace was offered again to them by PRRD, offering cabinet posts in good faith for them to help in good governance but they blew it by attacking projects, killing security forces, and even innocent civilians,” Parlade said.

Parlade said now that their foreign sources of funding are threatened and droves of regular NPAs are surrendering with their E-CLIP, they again attempted to reach out to the President.

“We can’t expect a better result with another round of talks, without Joma changing his end state which is still a national democratic revolution and supplanting our government with a ‘proletarian dictatorship’. Read the CPP Constitution and Programs series 2018 and it is still there,” Parlade said.

“The National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) will finish this terrorist menace once and for all, and with that comes real government service, not tokenism, livelihood for the poorest especially in conflict-affected areas, legal action for those who support these terrorist group, an entire bureaucratic convergence to address issues exploited by dissidents and a determined leadership, PRRD himself leading the charge. How can we go wrong?,” he said.

President Duterte has permanently terminated the government’s peace talks with the communist terrorist group, saying the rebels could try to talk peace with his successor instead.

With the peace talks over, the President has also directed the military to step up the operations against the communist rebels in the hope the insurgency could be finished within his term.

“I am officially announcing the permanent termination of our talks between the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines,” Duterte said during the 122nd-anniversary celebration of the Philippine Army in Taguig City on Thursday, March 21.

“I’d like to announce that I am no longer entertaining any interventions or maybe persuasions in this democratic state of the Republic of the Philippines. My sense is that you can maybe talk to next President of this Republic one day,” he added.

The President made the announcement after terminating the services of the government peace panel chaired by Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III that previously negotiated with the communist group.

The government instead will create a new panel that will supervise localized peace engagements. The panel will reportedly include representatives from different sectoral groups, local government units, and the military.

In November 2017, President Duterte issued Proclamation No. 360 declaring the termination of peace negotiations with the communist rebel group.

The proclamation stated that despite the government’s best efforts, the communist group failed to show sincerity and commitment in pursuing genuine peace talks amid its involvement in acts of violence and hostilities that endanger the lives and properties of innocent people.

In his speech, the President urged government troops to “never waver” in their commitment to perform their duties and “intensify focused military operations against the communist terrorist group.”

He said such operations, alongside the civil-military strategy, would persuade more rebels to surrender and return to the fold of the law.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2110852,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3102532,3102374,3102372,3102368,3102366,3102364]