By Chito Chavez
Quezon City Vice-Mayor Joy Belmonte distributed relief packs to over 750 families who were victimized by a fire that gutted their residence in Barangay Damayang Lagi last Wednesday.
The fire victims were provided with grocery items and sleeping mats as Belmonte instructed barangay officials to provide assistance to them while evacuation sites are being prepared by the local government.
“As of the moment, we will be distributing relief packs to the victims to give them something to eat. We will closely monitor the situation here in Barangay Damayang Lagi and I already have instructed the barangay officials to assist them for now,” said Belmonte.
At least 250 houses were razed by the fire which got up to a general alarm.
The fire further intensified and was not immediately put out due to the low water pressure in the fire hydrants and fanning effect caused by strong wind.
Belmonte has reiterated her call for city residents “to always be mindful of fire safety measures to avoid fire incidents on their residences’’.
Belmonte said that there has been the constant reminder of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and the city government to the public to
refrain from using octopus connections.
She also urged the public never to leave lighted candles and stoves while cooking adding that electric connections should be triple checked regularly.
“Hindi biro ang epekto ng sunog kaya lagi tayong mag-iingat sa ating mga tahanan lalo at napakaraming kaso ng sunog na naitatala ngayon. Dagdagan pa na may problema tayo sa suplay ng tubig kaya ‘yung paalala natin, mag-ingat talaga (The effects of fire inccidents I no joke so we should always be careful especially with the numerous fire incidents occurring. More so the water shortage has added to the problem so we have to be careful),” said Belmonte.