Trillanes camp hopes for favorable decision from CA on their bid for injunctive relief

Published March 20, 2019, 10:41 PM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

By Vanne Elaine Terrazola

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV’s camp has remained optimistic that the Court of Appeals (CA) will consider later their bid against the revival of the lawmaker’s rebellion case.

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez / MANILA BULLETIN)
Senator Antonio Trillanes IV
(AP Photo/Bullit Marquez / MANILA BULLETIN)

Atty. Reynaldo Robles, Trillanes’ legal counsel, on Wednesday, respected the CA’s interim rejection of their petition stopping the Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 150 from reopening the trial for the opposition senator’s rebellion charge.

“We are thankful that the Court of Appeals has reportedly acted on our Petition for Certiorari by requiring the Respondent Court, RTC of Makati-Branch 150 to comment thereon,” Robles said in a statement.

“While we note that the Honorable Court has ‘in the meantime’ decided to deny our application for a temporary restraining order (TRO) or injunctive relief, the same does not appear to be necessary at this time,” he, on the other hand, said.

Robles referred to the Makati RTC Branch 150’s earlier order rescheduling its trial on Trillanes’ rebellion case to May 27. The hearing on the revived case was supposed to resume Tuesday, March 19.

The lawyer said they will wait for the CA’s final decision.

“We will evaluate whether or not there is a need to apply for injunctive relief when the time comes after the respondents in the case shall have filed their comments,” Robles said.

“We are hoping that the Honorable Court of Appeals will already be in a position to rule on the merits of said application at that time, after hearing the parties in that regard. We are hopeful that the Honorable Court of Appeals will eventually uphold the merit of our Petition in due time,” he added.

The reopening of the rebellion case stemmed from the President Duterte’s proclamation last year voiding Trillanes’ 2011 amnesty for his supposed failure to apply for the grant.

On September 25, 2018, Makati RTC Branch 150 Judge Elmo Alameda granted the Department of Justice’s plea to revive Trillanes charges and order his arrest for his involvement in the Manila Peninsula siege in 2007.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2110452,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3147789,3147779,3147787,3147776,3147774,3147780]