Bar owner tagged in 2013 murder case finally arrested

Published March 9, 2019, 5:15 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Martin Sadongdong 

A wanted bar owner who was implicated in a brawl that led to the death of a customer nearly six years ago was finally captured by the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) in Pasig City Friday afternoon.

Newly assigned National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Director Guillermo Eleazar (FEDERICO CRUZ / MANILA BULLETIN)
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) Director Guillermo Eleazar

NCRPO Director Guillermo Eleazar identified the suspect as Fernando Fernandez, 40, a native of Tuguegarao and resident of Brgy. Bago Bantay, Quezon City.

Fernandez was arrested by elements of NCRPO’s Regional Special Operations Unit (RSOU) and Regional Investigation Division (RID) in coordination with the Eastern Police District (EPD) along Bank Drive near corner Dona Julia Vargas Ave., Ortigas Center, Pasig around 5:45 p.m.

He was accosted by virtue of an alias arrest warrant dated March 14, 2016 and issued by Judge Rosa Samson, of Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 105, for murder.

According to Eleazar, Fernandez was embroiled in a bar brawl in Barangay Bago Bantay on June 27, 2013 that resulted to the death of one John Pius Chavez.

A police report said Chavez was accompanied by several of his friends while drinking inside the bar owned by Fernandez when a verbal altercation between the two erupted.

Fernandez then threw a liquor bottle towards Chavez until a fist fight ensued between the victim’s group and the bar employees, the report added.

The fight ended when Chavez attempted to flee but Fernandez allegedly ordered a certain Ramil, the bar’s bouncer, to shoot him, the report stated.

As if not contented, the bar employees then mauled Fernandez after he was shot before the culprits made good of their escape, the report noted.

On Friday, March 8, Chavez’s father identified as John sought police assistance after he received a tip that Fernandez would meet a business client in Ortigas.

The police secured the alias arrest warrant and served it to Fernandez which eventually led to his apprehension.

“Ang pagkakadakip ng mga wanted person ay dahil sa tulong ng mga kababayan nating patuloy na nagtitiwala sa ating mga kapulisan (The arrest of wanted persons is a result of the help of the public who continue to trust the police force),” Eleazar said.

“Hinihikayat natin ang ating mga kababayan na ipagbigay-alam at huwag matakot na ilahad ang kinaroroonan ng mga ito upang mapagbayaran nila ang kanilang mga nagawang kasalanan (I urge the public continue being brave and report to us the whereabouts of [the wanted persons] so that they could pay the price of the sins they have committed),” he added.

Fernandez was brought to the RSOU detention facility in NCRPO headquarters, Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City for documentation while the warrant of arrest was returned to its court of origin.