ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Feb. 19, 2019)

Published February 20, 2019, 12:33 AM

by Ellalyn De Vera & Richa Noriega

Man killed by live-in partner

A 47-year-old man was stabbed to death by his live-in partner in Sampaloc, Manila an hour after midnight Tuesday.

Police identified the victim as Randy Coronado Zara and the suspect as Rosemarie Malayog Regonay, 36, both living along Marzan Street of the said district.

Initial investigation disclosed that the two were seen having a fistfight until the suspect pulled out a knife and stabbed repeatedly the victim in different parts of his body past 1 a.m. on Feb. 19.

Despite sustaining wounds, the victim still managed to run inside his house.

He was then rushed to the hospital but was declared dead-on-arrival.

Meanwhile, the suspect, who was running away from the crime scene, was accosted by their friend, Manuel Lim, along Vicente Cruz Street.

The reason behind the killing is still unknown.

But on-case investigator Police Officer (PO) 2 Enjason Fernandez said that prior to the incident the victim and the suspect, together with Lim, were having a drinking spree.

He also said that it was not the first time that the suspect attacked the victim.

The Manila Bulletin tried to get the side of the suspect, who is currently detained at the Manila Police District (MPD) Homicide Section, but the latter kept mum.

A homicide case will be filed against the suspect.

Further investigation is underway. (Ria Fernandez)

Carpenter stoned to death in Manila

A carpenter who went outside their barracks to buy a midnight snack was stoned to death by unidentified man in Tondo, Manila on Sunday.

The police identified the fatality as Marlou Balena, around 40 to 49 years old and resident of San Ildefonso, Bulacan.

Case Investigator SPO3 Jonathan Bautista of the Manila Police District Homicide Section said that they found the victim dead at around 6:20 a.m. on Feb. 17  in front of a parked truck of a pasta company along Magallanes Street, Manila North Harbour Centre, Vitas, Tondo Manila.

Bautista said a big stone was placed beside the victim and it might be the tool used in killing Balena.

According to Leoncio Morter, the victim’s coworker, Balena told him that he will buy food outside their barracks at around 11:00 p.m. on Saturday, but he never returned.

On the following day, Morter said that he learned that someone was killed in their area so he went out to check the victim.

The body was brought to Archangel Funeral Homes for autopsy and safekeeping.

Bautista said no one in the area could narrate how the incident happened.  (Erma Edera)

QC thief arrested anew for robbery, sexual assault

A man who was arrested last year for robbery hold-up was put again behind bars for the same offense after he robbed, sexually harassed, and injured a woman walking on a street in Quezon City on Monday night.

Quezon City Police Station 10 Chief, Police Supt. Benjie Tremor identified the suspect as Mark Reyes, 26, a resident of Bataan.

Police report showed that the 23-year-old victim, Joni Claveria, was walking at EDSA Northbound near East Avenue and MRT-3 GMA-Kamuning Station around 10 p.m.

Minutes later, Reyes appeared and suddenly attacked the victim and pointed a sharp object on her neck that injured her while the suspect declared the heist.

The suspect instructed Claveria to give her phone and her money. Discontented with the loot, the victim said Reyes even kissed her lips and touched her breasts.

Before escaping the scene, Reyes told the victim not to chase him or his cohort will kill her. Claveria sought help from bystanders near the area who immediately chased the suspect with their motorcycle.

The concerned citizens were able to get hold of the suspect on the corner of NIA Road and EDSA where he was mobbed by the crowd.  Nearby police officers who noticed the scuffle were informed about the incident and immediately pacify the crowd and arrest the suspect.

It was found out that Reyes was just released from the Quezon City Jail sometime in October last year for a similar case of robbery.

Police were able to recover from the suspect the stolen phone worth P12,000 and the P500 cash of the victim.  He is now under police custody and will be facing charges for robbery, physical injury, and acts of lasciviousness. (Alexandria San Juan)

Man shot dead by riding in tandem

A man was shot dead inside his car by two motorcycle-riding assailants in front of a bakery along Llano Road, Barangay 167, Caloocan City on Monday night.

Police identified the victim as Robert Sireda, Jr., 48, resident of A. De Castro Street, Malinta, Valenzuela City.

A certain Frederick Sales, 35, told police that he was parking his truck when he heard several gunshots outside.

Upon checking, he saw two men onboard a motorcycle open firing at a maroon Toyota Vios with the victim inside.

The victim died on the spot as the suspects fled, investigation showed.

Police Inspector Ronald Batalla of the Caloocan City Police Station-North Extension Office said they are still investigating the incident.

Follow-up operation is ongoing to identify and arrest the gunmen are underway. (Minka Klaudia Tiangco)

Woman commits suicide in Pasay City

A 48-year-old unmarried woman hanged herself dead due to extreme depression Monday night in Pasay City.

Pasay City police chief Sr. Supt. Noel Flores identified the victim as Mary Ann Cruzada, a resident of Unit 1822 18th Floor, Park Avenue Mansion, Park Avenue, Pasay City. She was declared dead on arrival when rushed at the San Juan De Dios Hospital.

According to the statement relayed by the victim’s niece who requested anonymity, she went home where was staying with the victim at about 7:00 p.m. Monday when she noticed a blue-colored leash protruding at the door of their condo unit.

The victim’s niece said she tried to open the door but cannot gain an entry and asked the assistance of the on-duty guard at the condo’s main lobby.

When the duty guard was able to open the door of their unit, the victim’s niece was shocked to see her aunt hanged from the ceiling with a cord looped around her neck with the other end attached at the steel gate.

The victim was brought down from hanging and was immediately rushed to the hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.

Flores said that according to the victim’s niece, Cruzada was experiencing extreme depression but didn’t elaborate further that might have been the reason in ending her life.

However, police are still conducting thorough investigation on the case. (Jean Fernando)

Elderly man perished from fire in Mandaluyong

The body of a 62-year-old man was recovered among the ashes and debris of his house which was engulfed by a fire in Mandaluyong City Tuesday morning.


Supt. Christine Pula, Mandaluyong City Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) commander, said that the burned body of Raymundo Liwanag Jr. was recovered around 8 a.m. on Tuesday after almost six hours of search among the rubbles of what was left of his house.


According to the BFP, the fire started at around 1:10 a.m. at the house of Liwanag in Ayala Homes Subdivision in Barangka Drive, Mandaluyong.


The hour-long fire quickly burned down his house which was made out of light materials.


The blaze was declared fire-out at around 2:25 a.m., BFP said.


“The retrieval of the body took longer since Liwanag was crushed by the second floor of his house when it fell during the fire,” Cula said.


Arson investigators are still yet to identify the cause and the damage of the fire. (Jhon Aldrin Casinas)