Government targets 8.2 million visitors in 2019

Published February 8, 2019, 4:27 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Genalyn Kabiling 

The government is confident that it could reach its tourist arrival target this year amid the planned revitalized campaign promoting the country’s hotspots.

Secretary Karlo Nograles (PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN)
Secretary Karlo Nograles (PCOO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles said the government aims to attract 8.2 million tourists in 2019, up from 7.1 foreign tourists who visited the country last year.

“Government has raised the 2019 tourist arrival target to 8.2 Million arrivals, up from 7.1 million in 2018. We believe we can hit our targets, as we were able to do so this year even if we shut down Boracay for several months,” he said during a Palace press briefing.

According to Nograles, the local industry would be given a boost with the imminent launch of a refreshed campaign promoting sustainable tourism.

“In the next few weeks, the government, spearheaded by the DOT, will launch a new tourism promotions campaign,” he said.

“The DOT Secretary presented to the Cabinet a glimpse of the said campaign, and we believe this will build upon the efforts of the government to improve existing tourist sites like Boracay, as well as the steps being taken to improve transport infrastructure,” he added.

The tourism department has planned to refresh the “It’s More Fun in the Philippines” campaign with additional focus on sustainable and environment-friendly tourism. The new campaign will reportedly be launched in the first quarter of the year.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2102556,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2849570,2849767,2849760,2849757,2849754,2849751]