By Analou De Vera
The Department of Health (DOH) has reported on Tuesday a 34 percent reduction on fireworks-related injuries during the holiday season.
A total of 340 injuries were reported from December 21, 2018 to January 5, 2019.
“This is 34 percent lower compared to the same reporting period last year and 60 percent lower than the five-year average,” the DOH said.
Majority of the cases came from the National Capital Region (36 percent), followed by Ilocos Region (15 percent), Western Visayas (15 percent), Central Visayas (eight percent), Calabarzon (seven percent), and Central Luzon (six percent).
“Of the total number of injuries, 338 cases were due to fireworks and two were due to firework ingestion. Most of the injured were males,” the health department stated.
“There was no stray bullet injury recorded. No deaths due to FWRI (fireworks-related injuries) were noted,” it added.
The fireworks that caused most of the injuries were kwitis (22 percent), luces (12 percent), piccolo (six percent), boga (six percent) and triangle (5 percent).
“Despite the reduction of the injuries this year, the department will continue the ‘Iwas Paputok’ Campaign to achieve a zero FWRI during the holidays,” the DOH said.