Villar warns ban vs. contractors over infra delays

Published November 24, 2018, 10:12 AM

by AJ Siytangco

By Mike Crismundo

BUTUAN CITY – Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Mark A. Villar on Friday issued a warning anew to blacklist contractors who cannot explain the cause of delays of their respective projects, either road or building, and other infrastructure projects.

(L-R) Department of Public Works and Highways - Caraga Regional Director Pol M. delos Santos, Secretary Mark Villar, Project Engineer Sergio M. Mulawan Jr. inspect the Butuan By-Pass Road project  (DPWH / MANILA BULLETIN)
(L-R) Department of Public Works and Highways – Caraga Regional Director Pol M. delos Santos, Secretary Mark Villar, Project Engineer Sergio M. Mulawan Jr. inspect the Butuan By-Pass Road project
(DPWH / MANILA BULLETIN)

Villar issued this stern warning as he announced that “on the ground validation” is already ongoing to contractors’ respective ongoing infrastructure projects.

All the regional directors, district engineers and technical men of the different district engineering offices nationwide had been directed to submit their respective reports before the year ends.

“On time, no delay of projects had been ordered to all contractors,” Villar told Butuan City newsmen on the sidelines of the almost completed P119 million Lemon-Mahay Bridge and Butuan By-Pass Road, on Friday.

The secretary ordered to blacklist contractors who will not respond. “If they (contractors) will not respond, we will begin blacklisting proceedings on their delayed construction works, if there is any,” Villar said.

However, the said contractors who have valid reasons such as the acquisition of right of way and delays in the issuance of permits will be given a chance to do some corrections.

He said the agency will give the contractor a chance to correct “because that’s the process under RA 9184 (Government Procurement Reform Act) that they have to submit action plan to finish the project”.

Sec. Villar emphasized that his warning was in line with the order of President Rodrigo Duterte to fast-track the construction of infrastructure projects under the “Build, Build, Build” program.

He assured that they will pressure the contractors to hasten while they will be very strict now that they have software that can closely monitor all infrastructure projects. “The whole DPWH project monitoring is now computerized,” he said.

Villar conducted ‘on-the-spot’ inspection of various infrastructure projects in this fast-rising region’s premier and capital city of Butuan before proceeding to the 2018 DPWH Regional Director’s Meeting on Friday. All regional directors nationwide were present in the meeting, hosted by the DPWH Caraga Region 13.

The DPWH secretary commended the leadership of DPWH Caraga Region 13 under regional director Engr. Pol M. Delos Santos for the good implementation of all infrastructure projects in Northeastern Mindanao or Caraga region.

Currently, Director Delos Santos said he sets strict bidders qualification: “no projects for low-performing contractors with on-going delayed projects.”

Villar said over 70 flagship projects such as railways, roads, bridges, subways, ports and airports have been proposed to be implemented until 2022 under Duterte’s “Build, Build, Build” program, and the bulk of these big projects are located in Mindanao.

The program has already produced 468,000 jobs and projected to produce more to reach the 1.8 million jobs target, he said.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2524362,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,3005238,3005479,3005475,3005464,3005240,3005237]