ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Nov. 11, 2018)

Published November 11, 2018, 7:03 PM

by Francine Ciasico

Unidentified man gunned down in his rented apartment in Tondo

An unidentified man, believed to be between 40 and 45 years old was gunned down in his apartment in Tondo, Manila early Sunday morning.

The unidentified victim described by police as 5’3’’ tall, clad in white shirt and black short pants and had a LM tattoo in his chest. He died on the spot after sustaining gunshot wounds on his head and on the different parts of his body.

Initial investigation showed that residents of the apartment heard continuous gunshots at the fatality’s apartment at around 2:35 a.m. on Sunday at Temporary Housing, Aroma, Tondo, Manila.

Moments later, the residents immediately reported the incident to the Smokey Mountain Police Community Precinct.

Elements of the Smokey Mountain Police Community Precinct along with the Manila Police District Scene of the Crime Operatives team responded to the scene and saw the victim’s lifeless body, which was immediately brought to the Funeraria Cruz for autopsy and safekeeping.

According to Lilian Lamusao, 49, president of the building, the victim occupied the apartment three days ago and he only visited the place at night.

Recovered from the crime scene were four cartridges of caliber 9 mm and one fired cartridge case of caliber 45 and illegal drugs paraphernalia.

Police said there were no witnesses and CCTV footages available in the area. (Erma Edera)

Man wanted for murder nabbed in Mandaluyong

The fourth most wanted man in Mandaluyong City, who is facing a case of murder, was arrested by policemen while playing basketball in Manila Saturday night.

Police identified the suspect as Scott Sta. Maria Maguindanao, 29, of Barangay Highway Hills, Mandaluyong.

Armed with an arrest warrant issued by Mandaluyong City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 209 Judge Monique Quisumbing-Ignacio, policemen arrested Maguindanao at around 9 p.m. while playing basketball.

Chief Insp. Allan De Leon, chief of Mandaluyong City Police Station Special Operations Unit (SSOU), told Manila Bulletin in a text message that Maguindanao was one of those who allegedly mauled a man at the early hours of December 13, 2009, while his cohort allegedly stabbed the victim to death.

Investigation showed that after a month of surveillance, the police received a tip from an informant that the suspect was spotted playing basketball in Barangay Mayo 8, Punta Sta. Ana, Manila.

Members of SSOU and Station Intelligence Unit, in cooperation with the local officials of Barangay Mayo 8 were immediately dispatched and arrested the suspect.

Further inquiry showed that the suspect claimed that his real name is Scott Matthew Maguindanao, and not Scott Sta. Maria Maguindanao which was the name written in the arrest warrant.

“Sa record ng Warrant of Arrest niya, Scott Sta. Maria Maguindanao name niya. Pero nung tanungin namin siya, ang claimed na name niya ay ‘yung Scott Matthew Maguindanao (In his warrant of arrest record, Scott Sta. Maria Maguindanao was used. But when we asked him, he claimed that his name is Scott Matthew Maguindanao),” De Leon said.

“We’re still in the process kung ano ba talaga name nya (of identifying his real name),” he added.

The suspect is now detained at the station and his court of origin will be notified about his arrest. (Jhon Aldrin Casinas)

Two men nabbed for taking stray cats to be used by medical school students

Two men were held for illegally taking stray cats in Malabon City which they were allegedly going to supply to medical students from Our Lady of Fatima University (OLFU) on Saturday morning.

A police report said elements of PCP-3 of the Malabon City Police Station were conducting Oplan Sita along Tanigue Street corner Dalagang Bukid, Barangay Longos when they saw a man taking a stray cat which he then put inside a sack.

His cohort took the sack and placed it inside a cart.

Police approached the two and saw 18 sacks inside the cart, all containing cats. Fifteen cats were already dead while three were still alive when police saw the suspects.

After the two failed to show any legal document with regard to what they were doing, police arrested them.

Arrested were Juan Espayos Jr., 48, resident at Don Antonio Street, Caloocan City; and Arthuro Sanchez, 53, resident at Doña Rita Street, Caloocan City; both construction workers.

Sanchez alleged that they were going to take the stray cats to his niece, who embalms the cats and supplies them to medical students of OLFU.

They were paid P40 for each cat they supply, he added.

The suspects said they only took older cats who roam streets and markets. They added that they ask permission from nearby residents or store owners before taking the cats.

Both claimed that it was their first time to do this and that they did not know that they were violating any laws.

Police said cases for violation of Republic Act 10631 or the Amended Animal Welfare Act will be filed against the suspects. (Minka Klaudia Tiangco)

2 employees at Greenhills nabbed for stealing

Two employees were arrested after they were caught on closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras stealing at Greenhills Shopping Center in San Juan City over the weekend.

Senior. Supt. Dindo Reyes, San Juan police chief, identified the suspects as Elmer “Mic” Villamor, 28, of Barangay West Crame, San Juan City, and Raymond “Rey” Dacoscos, 23, of Luzon Avenue, Quezon City.

Villamor, according to Reyes, was working as a technician at Technobyte Electronics and Computer Repair Shop located on the 3rd Floor of Shopsville Plus, Greenhills Shopping Center.

On November 8, Villamor was seen on CCTV footage stealing an expensive laptop, and its accessories around 2 p.m.

Right after the establishment where he was working learned about this, they immediately coordinated with San Juan police for his apprehension.

When technician returned to work on Saturday, he was collared by cops.

On the other hand, Dacoscos—who was working as a Mang Inasal staff— was also apprehended by cops on Saturday.

Investigators said that he, as seen on a CCTV footage, stole a P45, 000 check at their establishment at Greenhills.

Prior to his arrest, the manager confronted Dacoscos about the missing check. Police said, at first, he was denying it, but the manager showed the footage to him.

Villamor and Dacoscos are now held at the San Juan police headquarters’ detention cell. (Jel Santos)