Defense grills Arnaiz-slay witness during cross-examination

Published November 10, 2018, 2:33 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Minka Klaudia Tiangco

Defense attorney Dodjie Encinas confronted a certain “Joe Daniel,” who claims to have witnessed 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz’ killing, during his cross-examination at the Navotas City Regional Trial Court (RTC) on Friday.

(photo by Pixabay) Manila Bulletin
(photo by Pixabay) Manila Bulletin

On the eve of August 17, 2017, Arnaiz, a former University of the Philippines-Diliman student, went missing after leaving his house at Cainta, Rizal to buy snacks.

Ten days later, he was found dead at a morgue in Caloocan City with several gunshot wounds on his body.

Encinas also has cast doubt on the witness’ character after confronting him with a Facebook post saying the witness pretended to be a priest and collected money from unsuspecting victims.

Daniel was not able to comment on this but admits that he is aware of the circulating Facebook post.

In his earlier testimonies, Daniel said he hid behind three utility poles along the street, but Encinas presented a picture of the witness’ hiding spot dated March 1, 2018 that shows five utility poles in the area.

Daniel also gave out more details on what he has witnessed during the early hours of August 18, 2017.

On Oct. 19, he testified that he came from a birthday party and was looking for an eatery when he saw a police mobile patrol car parked along the road about 10 to 12 meters away from where he was.

The witness said he hid from the police because he was scared to be held for vagrancy and violating curfew hours.

PO1 Ricky Arquilita was the first to alight from the vehicle, followed by PO1 Jeffrey Perez, he said.

Arnaiz got out of the car shortly afterward, while a fourth unidentified person remained inside.

He said he did not see Arnaiz pulled out, intimidated, or instructed to alight from the mobile patrol car.

The fourth person in the vehicle was also not threatened or intimidated in any way during the incident, he said.

The witness said he heard seven gunshots after Arnaiz ran toward a grassy area. Perez shot the victim twice, followed by Arquilita, who shot Arnaiz once.

Daniel admitted he was not able to see who fired the four other gunshots, but said he saw Arquilita approach Arnaiz before the gunshots rang out.

He also said he does not have any knowledge on what happened to the fourth person who was left in the police mobile patrol car.

Resumption of trial is on Monday, Nov. 26.