By Jeffrey Damicog
As the deadline draws near, there are so far only two senior magistrates of the Supreme Court (SC) who have accepted their automatic nomination for the position of chief justice.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra revealed that SC Associate Justice Diosdado Peralta has accepted his nomination following Associate Justice Lucas Bersamin.
“Justice Peralta next candidate for CJ after J. Bersamin,” Guevarra told reporters.
Guevarra, who is also ex-officio vice chairman of the Judicial and Bar Council, said Bersamin submitted his application and documentary requirements on Wednesday (October 10).
The JBC had already opened last Oct. 1 the application for the post of chief justice due to the retirement on October 10 of retired Chief Justice Teresita Leonardo-De Castro.
Interested applicants have only until Oct. 15 to submit their applications.
By tradition, senior magistrates of the high tribunal are automatically nominated for the post and will only have to accept their nominations.
Following the removal of ousted Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno, both Peralta and Bersamin applied for the chief justice seat and were even included in the shortlist submitted to President Rodrigo Duterte for selection.
However, the two magistrates got bested by De Castro.