Cimatu lifts ban on 90% of quarrying operations in PH

Published September 27, 2018, 6:11 PM

by Roel Tibay

By Madelaine Miraflor

Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Roy Cimatu has formally lifted the ban on most quarrying operations in the country which was imposed immediately after the deadly landslide that happened in Sitio Sindulan in Naga, Cebu last week.

DENR Secretary Roy Cimatu (DENR / MANILA BULLETIN)
DENR Secretary Roy Cimatu
(DENR / MANILA BULLETIN)

The ban on all quarrying operations came at a crucial time when the government is in the middle of its massive infrastructure program called “Build, Build, Build.”

Cimatu said that after a week-long inspection, 90 percent of the quarrying operations in the country are now allowed to operate.

The other 10 percent, the locations of which were not specified by Cimatu, will remain suspended.

He said though this includes Apo-Cemex Corporation and Apo Land and Quarry Corporation, which owns the quarry license at the site of the landslide.

As of now, the number of people who died during the landslide now stands at 64, while 26 are still missing.

Some of the companies that were spared from the ban are Holcim Mining and Development, Republic Cement, Eagle Cement, Lafarge Holcim Aggregates Corp., among others.

42650626_2199306807062095_2812928542059266048_n

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2517900,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2822074,2822071,2822068,2822063,2822058,2821848]