By Martin Sadongdong
Multiple frustrated murder charges have been filed by police against the primary suspect tagged in a bomb attack in a lying-in clinic in General Santos City earlier this week, the head of a special investigation task group (SITG) assigned to the case disclosed Saturday.
Charges were filed after the suspect, Jeffrey Panag Alonzo, 38, of Barangay Lapu, Polomolok, South Cotabato, was arrested in a buy-bust operation near his house on Wednesday (September 19), said Senior Supt. Oliver Enmodias, Soccsksargen Police Regional Office (PRO-12) deputy regional director and head of SITG Bonita probing the September 16 General Santos City bomb attack.
To recall, two motorcycle-riding men left a package containing an improvised explosive device (IED) beside Bonita lying-in clinic in Barangay Apopong, General Santos City.
The bomb attack left eight persons wounded, including a six-year-old girl.
The arrest came hours after the PRO-12 released the computerized facial composite (CFC) of Alonzo.
In an interview with the Manila Bulletin, Chief Supt. Aldrin Gonzales, chief of public information office of PRO-12, shared that the General Santos City police were conducting a hot pursuit operation against the suspects behind the General Santos City bombing when they received an information from the local police in South Cotabato that a drug suspect they have arrested in a drug sting was pointed as the one responsible in the said attack.
“While the General Santos City Police [were] conducting hot pursuit operation [against] the suspect, the Polomolok Police Station informed them that a suspect they arrested during a buy-bust operation was one of the suspects in the GenSan IED explosion,” Gonzales said in a mix of English and their local dialect.
“The GenSan police went there to confirm and they presented the suspect to the witnesses of the bomb attack. He was positively identified,” he added.
In a statement, Enmodias said that “a criminal complaint filed before the office of the city prosecutor in General Santos City through inquest filing charges [against] Alonzo of multiple frustrated charges.” The case was filed on Friday.
Enmodias said they were still finding out the motive behind the bomb attack but revealed it could have been a personal grudge after it was learned that Alonzo had a “family-related” conflict involving the owner of the lying-in clinic.
A follow-up investigation remains on-going to apprehend the cohort of Alonzo.