By Aaron Recuenco
Despite the monstrous howler that was typhoon “Ompong,” an official of the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said initial estimates showed there was minimal damage wrought by the year’s strongest storm so far.
OCD Director for the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) Ruben Carandang was quick to say, though, that it was only an initial assessment based on initial reports compiled from field personnel on Saturday.
In saying “minimal,” Carandang clarified that the outcome was not as bad as the devastation that was expected from the potential super-typhoon.
“Our communication line was cut off due to the typhoon. We will have a clear picture of the effect of the typhoon once all the reports reach our office,” he said.
He, however, said that they were already receiving reports of road closures due to landslides, but not major damage.
PNP still on alert
Meanwhile, Senior Superintendent Benigno Durana Jr., Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman, said the police are just waiting for further orders on how the PNP would respond as the weather disturbance continue to dump heavy rains and unleash strong winds in Northern Luzon as of late Saturday.
“We have 4,678 search and rescue operation personnel in the affected regions. All of them are ready to provide assistance to the local government units,” said Durana.
Quoting data from its tactical operations office, Durana said they have not monitored crime across the country since Friday afternoon. He attributed the “zero crime” to Ompong’s onslaught.
“For the last 24 hours, we have not monitored a crime across the country. Maybe all the criminals are bust preparing for Ompong,” said Durana.