By Vanne Elaine Terrazola
Withdrawing his earlier pronouncements, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV said he would no longer leave the Senate premises.
Trillanes cancelled his plan to go home Thursday after police allegedly attempted to apprehend him. This was four hours after he revealed that he will try to leave the Senate premises to test the administration’s sincerity about his arrest.
In a press briefing, the embattled senator said his driver, after his announcement earlier in the afternoon, went out to refuel when police personnel allegedly followed his car.
Trillanes said his driver was able to take photos of the incident as he reported it to him.
The same incident occurred last night when his staff used his car for an errand, Trillanes claimed.
“The supposed intention is to stop me from going back in, and a few hours ago, I was really warned by AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) arresting units that they will arrest me as soon as I go out,” Trillanes said in Filipino.
“With that, the decision is, again, to remain here in the Senate for as long as there is no categorical statement from the AFP na they will not arrest me by virtue of that proclamation or any court martial charge,” he said.
Trillanes said the authorities who followed his staff were in plain clothes and rode in tandem on motorcycles.
Aside from these, he added that the Philippine National Police (PNP) augmented the security outside the Senate following media reports about his plan to slip out of the Senate.
Trillanes said his lawyers advised him to stay in Senate as their petition before the Supreme Court may be affected should he be taken into custody.