By Argyll Cyrus Geducos
The technical working group (TWG) for the third State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Duterte on July 23 has started its meetings in preparation for the annual event, the Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) confirmed.
Communications Secretary Martin Andanar confirmed that film and TV director Joyce Bernal had a “purely technical” meeting with Radio-TV Malacañang (RTVM) director and other members of the TWG, 12 days before the SONA.
“Nagmi-meeting sina Director Pabalan ng RTVM at sina Direk Joyce, at ‘yung iba pang members ng technical working group para sa paghahanda sa State of the Nation Address ni Presidente, (Director Pabalan of RTVM and Direk Joyce are having a meeting with other members of the TWG in preparation for the SONA),” Andanar said in an interview.
According to the Palace official, Bernal watched the previous SONA and the TWG will have an ocular inspection in Congress Thursday afternoon.
Andanar said that the public would have to wait and see what’s new in this year’s SONA, given that a new director will be directing the event.
The Palace official, however, noted that there are a lot of factors to be considered, including the event and security concerns.
“Kasi alam mo, ang Congress kasi, ‘yung hall, limited naman ‘yung shots na pwede mong gawin because of security measures. Also, you have to consider kung saan mo lang pwedeng ilagay ‘yung mga camera, so limited lang din ‘yung areas na pwede kang maging creative (You can only have limited creative shots in the Congress due to security measures. You also have to consider where to place the cameras),” Andanar said.
“As a creative person, I’m also excited kung ano ang magiging output ni (about the output of) Direk Joyce,” he added.
“Kasi alam mo ‘yung mga direktor, iba’t ibang style ‘yan eh. Ang magic ng isang direktor kasi lumalabas ‘yan pag ‘di mo pinapakialaman kung ano’ng ginagawa diba (Because you know, directors have different styles. Their magic comes out when you don’t interfere, right)?” he continued.
New director every year?
Andanar said that the Palace wants to give local directors film and TV the chance to direct the SONA. However, he is unable to answer when asked if different people would be directing the SONA every year as it is only Duterte who can make the decision.
Malacañang confirmed last year that Bernal would be directing the third SONA as recommended by actor Robin Padilla to President Duterte. Duterte’s first two SONAs were directed by internationally-acclaimed director Brillante Mendoza.
According to Andanar, Mendoza has no problem about being replaced after directing the two previous SONAs. He, however, said that he was satisfied with Mendoza’s work.
“I’m very satisfied with the work of Direk Brillante Mendoza. Marami siyang mga shots during the last two SONAs na pwede mo talagang magamit in the future, lalo na (He has a lot of shots during the last two SONAs that can be used in the future, especially) in creating documentaries about the President and about State of the Nation Address,” he said.