By Jeffrey Damicog
The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has yet to link any destabilization plot the spate of killings of local chief executives.
This was determined by Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra who gave the order to the NBI to probe the killings.
“Initial findings show that the incidents seem to be unrelated,” the Secretary told reporters today (July 9).
Guevarra gave the directive to the NBI to conduct the probe following the successive assassinations of Tanauan City, Batangas Mayor Antonio Halili, Gen. Tinio, Nueva Ecija Mayor Ferdinand Bote and Trece Martires City Vice Mayor Alex Lubigan.
The Secretary previously explained that the NBI probe was meant “to determine if there is a pattern in these three cases or if they were unrelated.”
“We need immediate results, and the NBI should look into the possibility of a bigger scheme in these killings – to destabilize the government,” he had said.
Earlier, Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque had said that the successive murders of Halili and Bote could be perpetrated by certain groups to “erode confidence in the President.”
“We continue to adhere to the rule of law and consider the recent killings of high-profile figures as an attempt to erode confidence in the President, whose main platform of governance rests on fighting crimes,” Roque said.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) claimed that communist rebels have plans to oust President Rodrigo Duterte based on documents recovered by soldiers and confirmed by testimonies of communist rebels who have surrendered.