By Ariel Fernandez
The Bureau of Customs (BOC) revealed yesterday that it seized 17.7 kilos of “shabu” that had been shipped along with chairs and bar stools to the Port of Clark last June 7. Authorities estimated the value of the illegal drugs at P120.36 million.
Last June 5, four packages bearing the same description as the parcels seized last June 2 arrived at Clark Freeport Zone from California in the United States.
The BOC said the parcels were sent by Rania Frias, Maria Nazareno, Vanessa Gallardo, and Rania Fernandez and consigned to Christian Santillan Frias, Robert Alejandro Nazareno, Dominic Espinosa Gallardo of Quezon City, and Gina Fernandez Santiago of Taguig City.
“With the heightened border control against illegal drugs, the customs examiners conducted a profiling on the incoming shipments with description of goods and country of origin strikingly similar to the scheme of Port of Clark’s latest seizure,” said Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña.
Lapeña was referring to the 11.5 kilograms of shabu estimated to be worth P74.8 million that were intercepted by the BOC and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) last June 2 in which four people were arrested.
Port of Clark Acting District Collector Lilibeth Sandag issued a warrant of seizure and detention against the shipments seized last June 7 and a controlled delivery operation was conducted by joint elements of the Customs Anti-Illegal Drugs Interdiction Task Force (CAIDTF) and PDEA Regional Office 3 which led to the arrest of Everlyn R. Lunzaga who received the parcel consigned to Nazareno.