Security guard shot dead
A security guard was killed while his co-worker was injured when an unidentified lone gunman attacked them while on-duty in Caloocan City Sunday night.
Renato Rosalengos, 44, of Bulacan, died on the spot due to gunshot wounds in the body, police said.
Rosalengos’ co-worker, Aser Escalante, 31, of Bulacan, is now in critical condition at Dr. Jose Rodriguez Memorial Medical Center. He sustained a gunshot wound in the chest.
According to a witness, a lone gunman appeared and fired shots at Rosalengos and Escalante along Leo Street in Pangarap Village around 7:45 p.m.
The gunman who was wearing a jacket and a cap then fled.
Authorities recovered from the scene six empty shells of caliber .45 pistol.
Caloocan City police chief Sr. Supt. Restituto Arcangel said they are yet to determine if the two security guards had enemies or were included in the drug watch list. (Kate Javier)
Drug peddler dies in shootout
Five months after President Duterte ordered the Philippine National Police (PNP) to return to the war on drugs, the Caloocan City police claimed its first fatality during a sting on Sunday night.
A notorious drug peddler identified “Sak,” was killed after he engaged lawmen in a shootout. He sustained gunshot wounds in the chest and lower back.
Joint operatives from the city’s drug enforcement unit and special operation unit led by Sr. Inspector Jervies Soriano launched a buy-bust operation against Sak’s cohort identified as “Diablo.”
However, Diablo and Sak ran away after sensing that they were transacting with an undercover cop near a drug den along Daang Bakal Street in Barangay 59 around 8:30 p.m.
The team chased the suspects who reportedly fired shots, but missed.
Apparently, PO1 Angelo Malate returned fire hitting Sak on the body.
Sak was brought to Caloocan City Medical Center where he was declared dead on arrival while Diablo managed to escape.
In an interview, city police chief Sr. Supt. Restituto Arcangel confirmed that Sak was the first drug suspect killed in an anti-narcotics operation in Caloocan since the drug war was returned to the PNP.
“We don’t want to have encounters because the lives of our men will be put in danger,” Arcangel said.
He said an average of 90 drug suspects are being arrested every wee in the city, emphasizing that they want to have “arrest not encounters.”
“It is very stressful in our part if the suspects are fighting back,” Archangel said.
It can be recalled that the Caloocan City police was placed in a hot water last year after the controversial death of 17-year-old Kian Delos Santos. The cops claimed he fought back during an anti-illegal drug operation but witnesses say otherwise. (Kate Javier)
Holdup man killed
A man who allegedly held up a woman waiting for a taxi was killed after engaging in a shootout with chasing policemen in Quezon City early Monday.
Investigators of the Quezon City Police District-Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit described the yet to be identified slain suspect to be in his late 20s and wearing black long sleeves shirt, and black pants.
According to the victim, Mica Hernandez, 32, she was with her friends in front of a pizza store at the corner of Banawe and Retiro Street in Barangay Siena, Quezon City around 2 a.m.
While waiting for a taxi, the victim said that two men onboard a motorcycle suddenly arrived at the place.
The back rider immediately pulled out his handgun and declared the heist. He forcibly took the victim’s bag at gunpoint before boarding again the motorbike and escaping from the scene.
Hernandez immediately went to the nearby QCPD-La Loma Police Station (PS-1) and reported the incident.
Operatives were dispatched and chased the robbers described by the victim.
At around 2:15 a.m., while traversing Sta. Catalina Street in Barangay Siena, PS-1 policemen chanced upon two men onboard a motorcycle with the same description related by the victim.
However, when the suspects sensed they were being followed by authorities, the back rider pulled out his gun and shot at the chasing operatives.
The shootout resulted in the killing of the back rider while his cohort, who was driving the motorcycle, was able to escape.
Operatives were able to recover from the scene four fired bullets, and a caliber 38 revolver.
Seized from the suspect were the pouch containing personal belongings of the victim, and a sachet of shabu from his pocket. (Alexandria San Juan)
Barangay official succumbs
The lady barangay captain who was shot on Saturday by a still unidentified gunman succumbed to her injuries Sunday night at the Adventist Medical Center in Pasay City.
According to Station Investigation and Detective Management Branch (SIDMB) Chief Inspector Wilfredo Sangel of the Pasay City Police, the victim Teresita Biscocho died at around 9 in the evening on Sunday at the hospital.
Police are still hunting the gunman described to be 5’5 in height, black complexion, heavy built, wearing black helmet. sunglasses, black mask, dark shirt and jeans. The suspect was on board a red scooter with no plate number.
In the report submitted to the Southern Police District yesterday, Biscocho was included in the drug watch list and was considered a high value target by the Pasay City Police.
The victim was the incumbent barangay captain of Barangay 1, Zone 1 in Pasay City. In the recent elections, she was elected as a barangay kagawad.
Based on the Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage acquired by police from Barangay 2, Zone 1, the gunman was first seen around 1:10 p.m., coming from F.B. Harrison Street southbound, before turning right to Layug Street.
The gunman then turned right to Cuyegkeng Street but the victim was not at the area. The suspect made a second round and spotted the Biscocho washing plates beside the barangay hall of Barangay 1, Zone1.
At this point according to police, the suspect, apparently took out his firearm and shot the victim thrice, before escaping towards F.B. Harrison Street northbound. (Dhel Nazario)