‘Crazy hope’ for missing kin in Marawi

Published May 22, 2018, 3:10 PM

by Patrick Garcia

By Agence France-Presse

Iligan City – Ten men from the same family vanished after jihadists invaded Marawi City a year ago – each day since, their wives have prayed their bones do not lie in its devastated landscape.

UTTER DEVASTATION – What used to be a building is now a stack of concrete boxes in Marawi City, which marks today the first year since the Maute Group attack that led to a five-month armed conflict with the government. (Manman Dejeto)
UTTER DEVASTATION – What used to be a building is now a stack of concrete boxes in Marawi City, which marks today the first year since the Maute Group attack that led to a five-month armed conflict with the government. (Manman Dejeto)

The women have been told to accept their husbands were likely among the 1,200 killed in the five-month battle that flattened swathes of the city, but they refuse to move on until they know for sure.

“I am hoping he will come home. All of us are hoping they will return. Even if my family says I am crazy, I told them my husband will come back,” Melgie Powao said of her husband Victor.

One year after the battle, reconstruction work is due to begin and the authorities say jihadists are far from mounting another such attack.

Yet, the families of the scores still missing are the overlooked victims of the country’s deadliest confrontation with Islamists.

The fighting left behind hundreds of corpses, with more likely to be found in the conflict area which has yet to be completely cleared of unexploded bombs.

PROMOTION FOR MARAWI HEROES – More than 600 soldiers were given a one-rank promotion for their contribution in the fight to liberate the war-stricken Marawi City from terrorists, in time with the commemoration of the first year anniversary of the start of Marawi siege today, May 23. The donning of ranks ceremony was held at the Philippine Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio yesterday. (Ali Vicoy)
PROMOTION FOR MARAWI HEROES – More than 600 soldiers were given a one-rank promotion for their contribution in the fight to liberate the war-stricken Marawi City from terrorists, in time with the commemoration of the first year anniversary of the start of Marawi siege today, May 23. The donning of ranks ceremony was held at the Philippine Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio yesterday. (Ali Vicoy)

The Powao men – fathers and brothers, cousins and uncles – from neighboring Iligan City were in Marawi for construction jobs when clashes with Islamic State-aligned fighters broke out on May 23 last year.

In the fighting that ensued, government airstrikes on Marawi and house-to-house fighting left neighborhoods in ruins that have been compared to battlegrounds in Syria or Iraq.

Only one of the Powao group – the 11th man – escaped and it was from him the wives learned that an airstrike may have killed some of them, while jihadists herded others into a van.

“Until I see their bodies, I won’t believe they are dead,” 31-year-old Alma Tome said of her husband Rowel and the others.

The Powaos are among 78 people officially listed as missing, though possibly hundreds more disappeared.

Some families were hesitant to file reports out of fear they could be targeted by authorities hunting for anyone with links to jihadists.

‘Bury them and grieve’

Many of Marawi’s 200,000 residents fled their homes, including more than 10,000 people from the so-called “ground zero.”

However so many explosives were left behind after the shooting stopped that even a year later thousands of residents have been allowed to visit – but not return to – their shattered homes.

The Powaos’ ordeal began on the first day of the siege, which was the last time they heard from their men.

“We were running out of pictures as we gave them to authorities to try to get help, but we went home without any news,” said Melgie, 24.

The women gave DNA samples to police in October to check against recovered corpses, but have heard nothing yet.

Allan Tabell, who heads the group identifying the remains, told AFP that authorities are doing their best.

“We’re not expecting it to be done overnight. It’s a long process but we have to respect that it’s a process… we cannot afford any mistakes,” he said.

The testing will go on as the rebuilding of the city creaks into action. Philippine authorities estimate it will cost $987 million to put Marawi right again. The work is expected to start in June.

Four Chinese companies and one Malaysian firm put in bids to handle the project that will involve the huge task of carting away hundreds of tonnes of debris, and which is expected to take years.

In the meantime, the Powao women will continue to seek answers, struggling with the gaping absence in their lives.

Alma, with her two-year-old son in her arms, said the boy sometimes picks up her ringing phone thinking his dad is on the other end. He calls out “papa” when a car stops in front of their house.

“The pain is double,” said Alma, who also has a one-year-old toddler.

Melgie says the Powao women don’t need aid, just answers.

“All we want is to see the DNA results. Even if they are just bones, at least we can bury them properly and grieve,” she said.

Satisfied

So far, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said President Duterte is satisfied at the smooth rebuilding efforts in Marawi.

“We have provided temporary or permanent homes to 70 percent of them so iyan po ay in a year’s time. We are even ahead of schedule pagdating po doon sa mga [when it comes to] rebuilding of the communities,” he said.

“Life goes on for a greater majority of the residents of Marawi,” he added.

But government is still short of about P11-billion budget to bankroll the reconstruction efforts.

To be specific, the Marawi rehab would require funding of as much as P26 billion for this year alone and another P27 billion for the succeeding years until 2022.

As of now, government only has a sure funding of P15 billion this year to bankroll the rehabilitation scheduled to starts on the second week of June.

In total, the cost to rebuild Marawi – or to implement as much as much as 892 priority programs, projects and activities (PPAs) in the city and its surrounding areas – stands around P53.4 billion.

That’s according to Bangon Marawi Comprehensive Rehabilitation and Recovery Program (BMCRRP), a masterplan drafted by National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) that provides strategic interventions for the rehabilitation of Marawi City and municipalities directly affected by the conflict.

The program will be submitted to the Office of the President for approval.

NEDA Undersecretary for Regional Development Office Adoracion Navarro said discussions are now on-going to finalize the funding support that will come from the private sector, non-government organizations, multilateral institutions, and other countries like Japan, China, and Australia.

“We are confident that we will be able to fund the requirement for this year. The private sector is very much committed,” Navarro told reporters.

Meanwhile, all 641 army soldiers who fought to liberate Marawi from Maute fighters were promoted one rank higher yesterday.

“The valor and resilience that you have displayed present the finest values of the military and the Filipino people,” Defense Undersecretary Cardozo M. Luna said. (With reports from Genalyn Kabiling, Madelaine Miraflor, and Francis Wakefield)

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news"]
[2500635,2814292,2534630,2485825,2408462,2358243,2358052,2344118,2339143,2047660,1998697,996820,995332,995948,995006,994327,994303,993947,993860,993770,993529,993383,993285,798318,2848716,2848720,2848713,2848700,2848710,2848681]