By Rey Panaligan
A total of 1,724 law graduates passed the 2017 bar examinations, the Supreme Court (SC) announced Thursday.
Justice Lucas P. Bersamin, chair of the 2017 bar examinations committee, said those who passed the tests represented 25.5 percent of the 6,748 law graduates who took the examinations on four Sundays in November last year.
Bersamin said that for the first time, the SC announced the top 20 placers in the examinations.
Mark John H. Simondo of the University of St. La Salle topped the examinations with an overall rating of 91.05 percent.
The oathtaking of the new lawyers will be held at 2:30 p.m. on June 1 at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) in Pasay City.
Assistant Bar Confidant Amor Entila said those who passed the examinations may secure their clearances from the Office of the Bar Confidant from May 7 to May 31.
The top 20 passers are:
1.Simondo, Mark John H., University of St. La Salle, 91.05 per cent;
2. Balili, Christianne Mae C., University of San Carlos, 90.80;
3.Remoroza, Camille B. Ateneo de Davao University, 90.70;
4.Hisoler, IvanneD’laureil I. University of San Carlos, 89.55;
5.Yap, Monica Anne, San Beda College-Manila, 89.45;
6.Gayya, Lorenzo Luigi T., University of Sto. Tomas, 89.10;
7. Servacio, Rheland S., University of San Carlos, 89.00;
8. Alcantara-Bagni, Krizza Fe P., St. Mary’s University and Mariacos, AlgieKwillon B. San Beda College-Manila, 88.90;
9.Torralba, Klinton M., University of Sto. Tomas, 88.65;
10. Aguilar, Emma Ruby J., University of Sto. Tomas, 88.40;
11.Juanico, Lyan David M., San Beda College-Manila 88.35;
12. Cariño, Lougenia P., San Beda College-Manila, 87.85;
13. Guzman, Arman Joseph M., University of Sto.Tomas, 87.75;
14.Santos, Jewelle Ann Lou P., Ateneo de Manila University, 87.65;
15. Claros, Stephanie A., University of San Jose-Recoletos, Gonzalo, Rhea Doll B., Xavier University, Mandiguarin, Nadia Christine L., Saint Louis University, 87.55;
16. Carpio, Eileen Carla Y., San Beda College-Manila, 87.40;
17. Mendoza, Ella Mae C., University of Cebu, 87.35;
18.Calero, Aecaya Christine V., University of Sto. Tomas, 87.15;
19. Vinluan, PretzVernice A., University of the Philippines, 87.10; and
20.Resurreccion, Roniel D., Jose Rizal University, 86.95.
The 2017 bar examiners were:
Political Law and Public International Law, former Commission on Elections Commissioner, Mehol K. Sadain; Labor Laws and Social Legislation, retired Court of Appeals Associate Justice Francisco P. Acosta; Civil Law, Atty. Arturo M. De Castro; Taxation, Atty. Leonor D. Boado; Mercantile Law, Atty. Raul T. Vasquez; Criminal Law, Atty. Alexander A. Padilla; Remedial Law, Atty. Willard B. Riano; and Ethics and Practical Exercises, CA Associate Justice Mario V. Lopez.
For the complete list of bar passers, visit Bacolod law graduate tops 2017 Bar exams.