ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (April 11, 2018)

Published April 11, 2018, 4:33 PM

by iManila Developer

Ex-NCR cop falls in QC operation

A former police officer listed as a high-value target drug personality of the Quezon City Police was arrested in a drug sting Tuesday afternoon.

Quezon City Police District Director Guillermo Eleazar presented Tuesday evening former PO3 Wilborn Lava, known as “Sarge,” 46, a resident of Barangay Del Monte, Quezon City.

According to Eleazar, Lava was a former PNP member assigned at the National Capital Region Police Office when he entered the service in 1998 and went absent without official leave or AWOL in 2015.

He was included in QCPD’s high-value target list for being involved in drug activities since 2016.

Eleazar added that Lava was one of the so-called ‘ninja cops’ who were recycling recovered drugs in police operations and selling it.

After monitoring the suspect, joint operatives of QCPD-Masambong Police Station (PS-2) Drug Enforcement Unit, with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, conducted a drug sting against him.

An undercover policeman and Lava agreed to meet along Tuktukan Street in Barangay Masambong at around 4:30 p.m.

Upon handing of P14,000 worth of shabu to the poseur-buyer, Lava was immediately collared by the responding officers.

Seized from him were two sachets of shabu with an estimated street value of P28,000.

Lava was detained at the police station while charges for selling and possession of illegal drugs are being readied against him. (Alexandria San Juan)

Dugo-dugo strikes again!

Cash and jewelry pieces worth P3,000,000 were taken away from a Chinese businessman after his house helper fell prey to members of the notorious “Dugo-Dugo Gang” Tuesday in Manila.

The house helper, identified as Victoria dela Rosa, 57, a native of Abra, was at her employer’s residence located at Unit 2501 Mayfair Tower Condominium at U.N. Avenue corner Mabini St., Manila when a woman called her at around 5 p.m., case investigator SPO1 Rhyan Rodriguez said.

The caller informed Dela Rosa that her employer’s wife, identified as Rena Alvarez Ko, was involved in a vehicular accident and was confined in a hospital.

The suspect then directed Dela Rosa to break into Ko’s store room where Ko’s jewelries and cash were placed.

Upon breaking into the store room, Dela Rosa was able to obtain P300,000 worth of cash, a Rolex watch worth P1.7 million, an Omega watch worth P400,000, a Tag Heuer watch worth P100,000, a Ball watch worth P150,000 and two other watches worth P100,000, with a total amount of P2,750,000.

Dela Rosa then went to meet with the caller who asked de la Rosa to meet her in front of a drug store along Tayuman, Manila, to give the items. However, upon returning to the condominium, her employer identified as Man Ko, 41, complained about the scam nd sought the help of a security guard to apprehend and bring de la Rosa to the Pedro Gil Police Community Precinct.

Dela Rosa, now under the custody of the Ermita Police Station, will be charged with Qualified Theft.

The stolen items were still unrecovered as of this writing. (Hans Amancio)

Jailbirds in noise barrage

Tension erupted in the male dormitory of the Pasay City Jail on Wednesday after the inmates at the fourth floor initiated a noise barrage which visitors mistook as a rumble.

According to the Pasay City Jail, the inmates at the fourth floor who belonged the Batang City Jail gang were creating noise to protest the transfer of their leader Leonardo Chavez.

Chavez is detained for drug charges in violation of sections 11 and 12 of RA 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act. He was transferred to the Bicutan Jail as per the orders of Judge Racquilen Abari Vasquez.

Several relatives who were outside the male dormitory scrambled in fear thinking that the noises that were made by the men were coming from a riot. Others cried and yelled at the men to stop.

The incident prompted Senior Supt Bernie Ruiz to momentarily suspend visiting operations in order to relieve the tension. Days before, the visitation was also cancelled after cell phones and other contraband were recovered.

After a few minutes, visitors were allowed on the second and third floors of the facility where most of the Sputnik and other inmates are also detained. This was after Chavez got out and was transferred. (Dhel Nazario)