Caloocan RTC orders transfer of 2 former cops in Arnaiz, De Guzman killings

Published March 19, 2018, 5:21 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Kate Javier

The Caloocan City Regional Trial Court (RTC) today ordered the transfer of detention of two former police officers tagged in the killing of teenagers — Carl Angelo Arnaiz and Reynaldo “Kulot” De Guzman.

WAITING WITH SADNESS — The parents of 14-year-old Reynaldo De Guzman, the missing companion of Carl Angelo Arnaiz, wait inside the room of a funeral parlor in Gapan, Nueva Ecija, with the body of their son, Wednesday night. The body of De Guzman, who is from Cainta, was found floating in a creek with 30 stab wounds in the body, his face covered with packaging tape, in Gapan. He was last seen with Arnaiz on Aug. 18, the night when Arnaiz was killed by Caloocan Police when he allegedly resisted arrest after robbing a taxi driver. (Jun Ryan Aranas | Manila Bulletin)
The parents of 14-year-old Reynaldo De Guzman, the missing companion of Carl Angelo Arnaiz, wait inside the room of a funeral parlor in Gapan, Nueva Ecija, with the body of their son.
(Jun Ryan Aranas | Manila Bulletin File Photo)

Presiding Judge Georgina Hidalgo of Caloocan RTC Branch 122 granted the manifestation of the prosecutors to transfer PO1s Ricky Arquilita and Jeffrey Perez from the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) in Taguig City to Valenzuela City Detention Center.

Perez and Arquilita, former members of the Maypajo precinct in Caloocan, are facing two counts of murder, two counts of torture and three counts of planting evidence.

It can be recalled that Dodjie Encinas, legal counsel of Arquilita and Perez, earlier asked the court that they remain in the custody of the NCRPO and not be transferred to Caloocan City Jail for their own safety.

However, the prosecution opposed the move of the defense that they should remain in police custody.

‘Intentional killing’

Meanwhile, Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) forensic laboratory director Dr. Erwin Erfe, testified during the trial today.

Arnaiz, 19, a former University of the Philippines (UP) student was killed by policemen after he allegedly robbed a taxi driver on August 18 along C3 Road in Barangay 28, Caloocan. He was found by his family in a morgue in Caloocan 10 days after.

De Guzman, 14, was discovered floating in a creek in Gapan, Nueva Ecija, 20 days later. De Guzman had at least 28 stab wounds and his head was wrapped with packaging tape.

Erfe, who conducted autopsy on the bodies of the teenagers, noted that Arnaiz was intentionally killed and succumbed due to multiple gunshot wounds.

Citing his autopsy report, Erfe said Arnaiz suffered five gunshot wounds: three in the middle of his chest, which indicated he was kneeling when shot; one at the left side of his chest; and another one at the back of his arm.

Arnaiz also had handcuffed marks, scratches and bruises in his body, which indicated he was tortured before he was shot dead, according to Erfe.

De Guzman, on the other hand, was also tortured first before being stabbed 28 times. Erfe said the 14-year-old boy was already dead when he was stabbed 26 times.

“Only two wounds had tissue reaction. Meaning, two were inflicted when he was still alive,” Erfe explained.

‘Justice will be served’

Meanwhile, PAO chief Persida Acosta, who was also present during the trial, believes that justice will be served.

“It shows that the wheels of justice are turning for the welfare of our children,” Acosta said.

However, the parents of Arnaiz and De Guzman admitted that they are afraid of the possible outcomes but said they will continue to fight for justice.

“Ang gusto lang naman namin ay hustisya. Syempre natatakot kami dahil kami ay mga ordinaryong tao lamang. Dasal lang talaga,” said Eva, mother of Arnaiz.

“Medyo nakakahinga na kami. Sana magtuloy-tuloy na. Sana wag nang dumami ang mga pulis na katulad nila. Naniniwala ako na hindi naman lahat ng pulis abusado, added Carlito, father of