Fire hits commercial storage building in Binondo, Manila

Published February 24, 2018, 6:05 PM

by Francine Ciasico

By Analou De Vera and Hans Amancio

Two warehouse personnel were injured after a commercial storage building was hit by fire in Binondo, Manila Saturday morning.

Firefighters and fire volunteers work together to extinguish a warehouse fire that broke out in El Cano st. Binondo, Manila, Saturday afternoon. Fire investigators are still conducting inspection as to determine how and what started the fire. MBPHOTO.CAMILLE ANTE
Firefighters and fire volunteers work together to extinguish a warehouse fire that broke out in El Cano St. Binondo, Manila, Saturday afternoon. (MBPHOTO.CAMILLE ANTE)

Chief Insp. Crossib Cante, Manila Fire District- Operations chief, identified the injured workers as Marvin Abraham Cervantes, 27, who sustained a burn on his right chest; while Jonjon Galiano, 27, suffered a burn on his right knee.

Initial investigation showed that the fire started around 11:40 a.m. at the second floor area of Uytec Trading building owned by a certain Tony Sy located at the corner of Elcano and Jaboneros Streets.

The fire, which reached the second alarm, was fully contained four hours later.

The storage building contains plastic toys and candies, said PO1 Carl Juno Timbang, case investigator of Meisic Police Station.

The stretch of Elcano and Jaboneros Streets, meanwhile, was temporarily closed to motorists to give way to the responding fire fighters.

At least 25 fire trucks responded to the fire scene, said Timbang. Investigators said they have yet to determine the cause of the fire as well as the total cost of damage to property.

Meanwhile, the storage room of Manila Police District-Station 5 caught fire Friday afternoon, burning some old criminal records and anti-rally equipment.

The fire started around 3:40 p.m. and was fully contained 20 minutes later through the use of a fire extinguisher.

Supt. Emery Abating, Ermita Police Station chief, said that an old socket bearing faulty wires might have sparked the fire. No one was reported injured during the incident.