ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Feb. 7, 2018)

Published February 7, 2018, 4:42 PM

by Patrick Garcia

RTC orders arrest of 3 Caloocan cops

The Caloocan City Regional Trial Court (RTC) has ordered the arrest of the three former Caloocan police officers and the alleged police asset tagged in the killing of 17-year old Kian Loyd Delos Santos.

On Wednesday, Judge Rodolfo Azucena Jr. of Branch 125 ordered the arrest of PO3 Arnel Oares, PO1 Jeremias Pereda, PO1 Jerwin Cruz, and civillian Renato Loveras alias “Nono” or “Nonong” for the non-bailable offenses of murder and planting of evidence.

In a 43-page resolution released on January 29, the DOJ indicted the accused, citing the testimonies of eyewitnesses, including a minor, who all said that they saw the accused talking to Delos Santos before he was shot dead.

The warrants were referred to Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City, where the three cops were placed under restrictive custody.

Copies of the warrant were also referred to the Valenzuela City police, National Bureau of Investigation and Camp Crame.

The court, however, dismissed the domicile raps also filed by the Department of Justice (DOJ) against Peresda and Cruz, citing lack of jurisdiction.

“Considering that the Information alleged that the felony was committed during night time, the imposable penalty would be prison correctional in its medium and maximum period,” the order said.

Kian, 17-year-old Grade 11 student, died at the hands of the policemen after he allegedly resisted arrest during an Oplan Galugad on the night of August 16 in his neighborhood in Libis, Baesa.

The cops claimed that Kian was a drug-runner but it was disputed by barangay officials, saying the minor was not included in their drug watch list. (Kate Louise Javier)

Criminology students fall

Two criminology students who cherished dreams of joining the police force were busted after they snatched the cell phone of a 15-year-old girl in Sta. Cruz, Manila, Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators identified the suspects as Jerickson Sajul, 20, and Helmer Caspe, 19, both students of University of Manila. The students were detained at the Sta. Cruz Police Station while facing charges of robbery-snatching in relation to Republic Act 7610 or Anti-Child Abuse Law.

Sajul and Caspe were arrested after a female Grade 8 student, whose name was withheld, accused them of stealing her Oppo A37F phone worth P7,000.

The case investigator, PO1 Debby Ann Respicio, said that the female student was waiting for a jeepney ride along Legarda Street when the two suspects, onboard a motorcycle, appeared and suddenly grabbed her phone around 4:30 p.m.

The teenager immediately reported the incident to the nearby police station. After reviewing the closed circuit television footage of the area, the elements of Barbosa Police Community Precinct conducted a follow-up operation that led to the arrest of the two criminology students.

Sajul reportedly admitted the crime and explained that he only did it for his ailing child and to be able to pay his tuition fee. Caspe, meanwhile, said that he had no idea on what Sajul did and was only then driving the motorcycle.

“Wala silang karapatan maging pulis dahil hindi pa nga sila pulis, ay sila na ang kalaban ng pulis,” said P/Chief Insp. Marlon Mallorca of Sta. Cruz Police Station. (Analou de Vera)

Love sparks killing of husband

A fight over a woman led to the death of a man by his wife’s alleged lover in Quezon City Tuesday night.

Investigators of the Quezon City Police District identified the victim as Marlon Garsain, a 40-year-old construction worker, and resident of Caloocan City.

Police said that based on their initial investigation, Garsain’s wife, Catherin, allegedly had an affair with the suspect identified as Johnny Tobilla, 34, also a construction worker.

According to investigators, Garsain went to Tobilla’s rented apartment along Manansala Street, Barangay UP Campus around 6:30 p.m., Tuesday, to check if his wife was there.

Tobilla’s neighbors told police that they heard the victim shouting and knocking outside the house, looking for his wife.

When the suspect opened the door, Garsain forced himself inside and a commotion erupted between the two.

However, in the middle of their argument, Tobilla reached for a kitchen knife and repeatedly stabbed Garsain before escaping from the scene.

Garsain died on the spot due to multiple stab wounds on his body and lacerations on his nose. (Alexandria Dennise San Juan)

Dugo-dugo strikes again

A phone call gone wrong cost a doctor almost P6 million worth of cash and jewelries after her house helper allegedly fell victim to the notorious ‘Dugo-dugo’ gang in Brgy. Pineda, Pasig City.

According to the house helper identified by police as Shelamy Layno, a native of Nueva Ecija, the incident started when a male caller informed her of her employer’s involvement in a vehicular accident Tuesday afternoon. A woman informed Layno that her employer was currently at the hospital having difficulty breathing and speaking, after the accident.

Layno, believing that it was indeed her employer in serious condition, obliged to the caller’s requests without any second thoughts.

Panicking and overwhelmed, Layno immediately followed the woman-secretary’s instructions to go to her employer’s room and get all the cash and valuable items that she can find in the brown cabinet.

Layno then broke the cabinet and was able to obtain P700,000,, $35,000.00 (P1,789,480.00), and P3.5 million worth of assorted jewelries, which the secretary told her to wrap in a white paper bag and packaging tape.

The housemaid immediately brought the assets to a mall in Quezon City where she was asked to meet the secretary to get the cash at around 7 p.m.

Layno, who has been working for the doctor for more than a year and a housemaid for almost ten years, did not hesitate to give the money nor did she find anything suspicious with the transaction.

After handing over the money and the jewelries, the secretary asked Layno to wait in a fast-food chain, where her employer was to meet her, then left. But after an hour of waiting, the secretary called again, saying that her employer will be brought by an ambulance to the house instead.

Layno then headed back, but found her employer in front of the house, well and unharmed, together with the police.

According to SPO1 Rodelio Olalia, Layno’s employer believes that she was not really innocent but was actually in connivance with persons police suspect are members of the ‘dugo-dugo’ gang.

Layno was detained at the Pasig City Police Station where she will be charged with qualified theft. (Carizza Ibañez)