CNBLUE’s frontman Yonghwa will enlist in the Korean military in March following his graduate school admission controversy.
FNC Entertainment, CNBLUE’s agency, announced that Yonghwa has been notified by the military and will enlist on March 5.
“Inevitably we have canceled all future overseas tour after the Hong Kong performance of ‘2018 Jung Yong Hwa Live [ROOM 622]’ scheduled on Jan. 27,” the agency said.
It asked understanding from domestic and foreign fans who spent their precious time and who paid attention.
FNC Entertainment also said it will make another announcement on CNBLUE’s previously announced tours which will not be attended by Yonghwa because of his upcoming enlistment.
“Please support him so he can return with a healthy and mature image after fulfilling his military service at the country’s call,” it added.
The surprise announcement about Yonghwa’s enlistment follows his involvement in a controversy regarding his graduate school admission to Kyung Hee University.
Yonghwa has been accused of getting special treatment for being admitted to the graduate school program despite that he didn’t attend an interview at the university.
It turned out that he was interviewed by a professor outside the university, which became the basis for his school admission.
As a result, Yonghwa posted an apology on Instagram and quit as host of the TV program “TalkMon,” which premiered last Jan. 15.
FNC Entertainment said it had no intention of circumventing the rules to get Yonghwa admitted to the graduate school program.