ROUNDUP: News in and around Metro Manila (Jan. 12, 2018)

Published January 12, 2018, 4:55 PM

by Restituto Cayubit

5 MARINA employees, shipping line exec nabbed after trying to ‘leak’ licensure exam

Five employees of the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) and a marketing manager of a shipping line were arrested in an entrapment operation after reportedly attempting to “leak” the licensure examination for Marine Deck and Marine Engine Officers on Friday afternoon in Ermita, Manila.

The suspects were identified as Joemarie Antiquera, 33, marketing manager of North Star Training Inc.; and MARINA employees Christian Asistores, 23, evaluator (Surveillance Division); Julius Maquera, 26, evaluator (Monitoring Division); Malone Morales, 28, evaluator (Surveillance Division); John Daniel Miron, 22, information technician; and Teodorico Dionisio, 29, information technician. They are now under the custody of the Manila Police District (MPD) General Assignments and Investigation Section.

MPD spokesperson Erwin Margarejo said one Jobert Santos, owner of Pipedown Maritime Services, a review center, served as the complainant after receiving an offer from Antiquera for a “leakage” in exchange for P500,000.

Santos reported the offer to the MPD GAIS on Jan. 10, who launched an entrapment operation against the suspects at the Pipedown office on Kalaw Street 5 p.m. yesterday.

After the transaction, officials from MPD GAIS led by Police Chief Inspector Joselito de Ocampo collared the suspects.

Margarejo said the two information technicians are the ones who have access to the examination.

MARINA board examiner chief engineer Jesse Fresnido meanwhile expressed disappointment on the incident and said they are not discounting the possibility that the leakage has been going on even before they were appointed.

“Matagal na silang empleyado, inabutan na namn kasi kami na-appoint lang ni Pang. Duterte. Posible na noon pa nangyayari ‘yan,” he said.

The suspects will be facing a case of violation of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act. (Jaimie Rose Aberia)

Super ‘kalan’ triggers fire; leaves about 200 families homeless

A fire allegedly triggered by a super “kalan” left around 200 families homeless after it razed about 30 houses in Pasig City today.

Pasig Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) said the fire started at the house of a certain Daisy Mainit, 37.

Investigation showed that at 9:45 a.m. the fire started at the house of Mainit on Commercial Street in Barangay Kapasigan.

Fire investigators said the super kalan of Mainit caught fire while she was cooking rice.

Reports said she left it. After a few minutes, she saw it in flames.

She reportedly tried to extinguish it, but the fire was so strong and the smoke got thick. She then sought the help of her neighbors.

The house was made of combustible materials, probers said.

At 9:48 a.m., the fire quickly reached fourth alarm, consuming other houses.

The firefighters had difficulty putting out the fire as the streets heading to the burning houses were very narrow.

The BFP declared fire out at 11:35 a.m., adding that four people were injured during the incident.

Injured were Relea Catacutan, 21; Maxette Alcantara, 22; Victoria Bispera, 64; and Erning Sales 67.

According to the BFP, the cost of damage was pegged at P3 million. (Jel Santos)

QC jail detainee rearrested by authorities 

The 18-year-old detainee who escaped by jumping over the perimeter fence of the Quezon City Jail in December was rearrested by authorities in an apartelle yesterday.

Quezon City Jail warden Ermilito Moral presented to the media JR Mananquil, a resident of Barangay Holy Spirit in Quezon City, with his hands and feet cuffed.

Mananquil escaped by jumping over the 15-meter high perimeter fence of the jail at around 3 a.m. on December 17 last year, just 10 days after he was detained for car theft and illegal possession of firearms.

Moral said authorities arrested Mananquil after baiting him with a woman asset who dated him. He added that this was the second setup since their asset failed to appear on the supposed first meet-up early this month.

According to Moral, Mananquil and the woman met in Barangay Payatas, Quezon City at around 12 noon. The two decided to have a drinking spree inside BARSKY 81 Apartelle in the area since the suspect is hiding from the authorities.

Once they were inside the room, at about 3 p.m., the woman tipped the officers leading to the arrest of Mananquil who was put under surveillance of the authorities of QC jail and police after finding that he was hiding in Barangay Payatas.

With Mananquil’s arrest, Moral said he would push for a thorough investigation on how the detainee was able to escape without the knowledge of the jail guards on duty.

Moral also warned all QC jail detainees not to do anything foolish.

“Let this be a lesson na kahit tumakas kayo, mahuhuli at mahuhuli namin kayo at lalong bibigat lang ang kaso nyo,” Moral said.

Recruiting more jail officers, adding perimeter wires within the city jail, and intensified radio communication would be implemented according to Moral to avoid similar incidents.

He added that he would ask for the transfer of Mananquil to Bicutan for his own safety as some detainees harbor ill feelings against Mananquil due to more strict policy they implemented after his escape. (Alexandria San Juan)